Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about doing some mods to the engine, more along the ways of porting and polishing. I know that it works on cars, but would anyone recomend it? I got a 98 polaris XC700 SP that got some rip, not alot, but I want more. If I get it ported this summer, how much would that run, or should I have i have the bore oversized? I've heard this before, but how reliable doe the engine become and is work the money for the job? everywhere I look, I see porting jobs for $1000 and more. Is that normal? Could I bring it to an automotive engine specialitly shop, and have them port it out? what should I do? I wanna woop my friend next year, but I don't want that much notice out the outside that he can tell, basically, I want it to be a sleeper, then when I rip it open I wanna leave him in the dust, well snow, since there is no dirt on snow, unless its brown snow, and brown snow ain't no good.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I HAD MY MXZX800 PORTED BY SPEEDWERX. IT COSTS 200.00 PER SIDE, THEY ALSO PORTED THE R.A.V.E VALVES AS WELL. GREAT COMPANY TO DEAL WITH, ERIC LONG IS THE SALESMAN I RECOMMEND. HES ALWAYS BEEN HELPFUL WITH MY BUDDIES AND MYSELF. I ALSO HAVE THE BILLET HEAD WITH '13' DOMES. WE THOUGHT WE WOULD PICK UP ABOUT 10-14 HORSE. YOU HAVE TO RUN MINIMUM 92 OCTANE WITH THE ADDED COMPRESSION BUT MOST PEPLE USUALLY DO ANYWAY. NOTICED A BIG PICKUP IN MID AND TOP-END. IF THAT INTERESTS YOU AT ALL, I CAN GIVE THE NEEDED INFO ON HOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
two hundred a side is a little high, on that 700 we can do a blue print job, and then some other little things here and there for 125 per side, the nice thing is on a blue print port job, all we do is set the top of the ports to the original spec. and then the other little things we do help clean up low end and midrange throttle just awsome, then no one can even see that work has been done unless they remove the exhaust and look up that way with a mirror. you gain about 6-8 hp on top end but a huge difference in throttle response on low, makes a sweet trail sled, put it this way, with good port work and some clutch work you could have the same engine hp as a buddy who goes out and buys a single pipe, but you are still stock. and smoking him. for trail its up to you if you want to go up on the heads for compression, if you by fuel additive to offer a little safety than ya you can do it.

pm me and i can give you info on other prices and services.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
sorry about the delay, just got back from the u.p. last night. p.m. me and i can give you the info if you still need it.....

·
Registered
749 Posts
If an engine is ported it is harder on the rings. I'm doing mine this summer and the guy says i will have to ring it every year. But i also put 1500-2500 miles on in a year.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
you can get different ranges of porting done, you can go from a "trail port" to a full "race port". as long as you go with a semi-conservative trail port and run 92+ octane, it should remain as dependable as stock. the reason i like going that route is what was mentioned earlier, you got some ponies on your buds, and thier non the wiser....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts