Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get the opinions of you guys. It sounds like there's going to be about 50 or so people attending this thing. M600CAT called me and wanted to get something worked out with the local snowmobile club to maybe help provide some planning for a ride. What I had in mind is something like this.

Since I'll be there to ride on Friday, anyone that can make it Friday can tag along. We can just go solo and ride where ever we feel like going. I was thinking we could reserve Saturday for the big ride where everything is planned out, etc, etc. This will give people a chance to meet each other, chat, get in some good riding, and come back not feeling too beat. I thought that maybe Sunday we could break off into smaller groups. Say if one set of people wanted to do some back country riding, etc...they could go in a group. If others wanted to stick to the groomed trails, etc...they could be in a group. Each group could have some sort of leader which knew the area and could take the others on a ride.

I'd really like to see at least one large group ride for one of the days and I think Saturday would be the best day for this. Let me know if this sounds reasonable. I'm leaving the planning for these things mostly up to M600CAT and Darkstar.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
50? Damn this is going to get interesting :p I agree that Sat should be the bigger group ride.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I concure with saturday. can we work with the club for some grooming? I bet if we have a map and route, that they would be able to do some friday night saturday morning grooming. especially if we take up a pool for fuel. I will right a check out on saturday for a membership to the local club if they have someone there to collect it. even if they cant groom. I would like to join as many clubs as possible and see how many badges i could put on my coat.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
You can take the same route. Just leave in staggered groups of xxx amount.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ya 25 isn't to bad of a size, about normal when we have a club ride as long as everyone rides at a pretty good pace it can be done. 50 might be stretching it a bit so breaking up into smaller groups would work good

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the big problem with 50 is all of you pulling into a gas station or resteraunt. a lot of the gas stations are limited in size.

on a side note. we want to plan gas stops near a town, not at trussel lodge or knotted pine. gas is usually 50 cents a gallon or more higher. last year the pumps were close to 190 for prem. at the knotted pine and trussel it was close to 275

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The only place gas is cheaper in that area is in Finland. The Knotted pines is cheaper than the Tressel or the Stony river. Remember, there are VERY FEW places to get gas in that area. I learned a long time ago, get gas whenever you can.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well, a group of 50 sleds would be fun, however it is alot, even for a trail ride. Getting gas, and keeping a group together like that is a little bit of work, the group can easily get strung out over a couple miles. I know the MS Snow Rally splits up into groups to make things easier. Just a suggestion. . . . we could all meet at say, the "Four Seasons" in Finland Sat. morning (everyone already fueled and ready to go) and ride together for the first half of the day (maybe have lunch somewhere), then split the group up for the second half. We could meet up again at the "Four Seasons" later in the evening for drinks. Just an idea.

·
Registered
459 Posts
One other note I forgot about. The Northland 300 (a charity ride for the special Olympics) is also that weekend in Two Harbors. The North Shore trail gets REAL BUSY that weekend!! It is from Jan. 25th thru the 29th.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If I owned a gas station and saw 50 sleds in a row... I would be pretty damn happy to be in business.

I think the big problem we are going to have is the fact that there is so many of us and a bunch of diffrent ridding styles, it would be hard to just all stay in a straight line, and besides that would be boring. I vote for a 50 group ride for around 40 50 miles then we can breat off in to smaller groups that we choose.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also... We could split in to groups determined by you fuel range!!! I know this will be a problem for some (myself included). That way the guys that can only go 60 70 miles can ride together and the guy that can make it 100 120 miles can go further.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah this ride sounds like its gonna be a lot of fun! Splitting groups up is a must! I like ditch bangers idea sounds like a good way to start the ride and kinda fugure out the groups as well. Yeah what happens when the numbers reach 70- 80? All i know is this is gonna be fun and that weekend can't come soon enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts