Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing all the posts on our sleds pics being stolen for use on ebay and someone made the great recommendation that we watermark our photos, here is my first idea.

/polarisman/../images/users/darkstar/2003600XCspFrontNoWindshieldWithWatermark.jpg

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Do we need to add the verbage "property of" or "all rights reserved " below that?? BTW - It looks great darkstar!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of adding property of TUSF/Polarisfiles, the website, and a warning that if i find someone using this photo i will be on the next plane to their front door. :)

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Looks good Darkstar. TUSF is the part that joins SnowmobileFanatics and Polarisfiles, so you could leave the Polarisfiles part out...

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about this one?

/polarisman/../images/users/darkstar/TUSFwatermarkTranspB.jpg

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hey guys, i think we should go for something a little more transparent, especially if this watermark will be automatically added to everyone of our pictures. The reason being is that if we have something that we want to show in the bottom of the pictures it would be covered up by the watermark....or maybe i dont understand this process totally.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Yes, those look great, but a more transparent one would be nice. I am thinking here. This may be somewhat difficult to do. The watermark size would be fitted by a percentage from the size of the picture. I do not know if I would add it upon upload, or add it upon retrieving it from the server. Also, may add an option so that users feel they have a certain photo they are uploading protected they can add the watermark. If they don't want it, they don't need it. Eventually I will have everything set up so that images that users post on the forum are automatically resized to fit the screen size that each user has. I think it would be easy to add a watermark with this as well then the originals can stay safe on the server.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
yup, need to be more transparent and probably more in the corner so it isnt directly over the main picture

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
yeh maybe bubble letters or something in the corner so you can see the pic but still see the words clearly..

·
Registered
546 Posts
Really the only way you could mark the photo so no one would steal is to put it on the top of part of the sled otherwise it could just be cut out, some people are good enough so even if it was on the top of the sled they could make i look like it was never there. Also the only way you could go after them for taking it is if you had a copyright. I'm not sure if erick's copyright is a legal one or not but if it is then we'd be set. But then, what if the picture has been hotlinked from another site, you wouldn't be able to mark it automatically or would you, i guess i'm not sure what .asp can do.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
The way the web works, anything that has a copyright notice on it, is copyrighted. I don't need to go through any special procedures, just put the © on it and it is a done deal. Sure they could cut it off, but these fools posting this stuff can't even spell right. I am sure they would not be able to figure out how to edit a picture. Either way i think someting has to be done. Hmmm, what to do, what to do...

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just decided to try for fun what i could do, i didnt spend much time on it or finish it. I decided to look into the law quickly about putting a false copyright notice on something.

(c) Fraudulent Copyright Notice. — Any person who, with fraudulent intent, places on any article a notice of copyright or words of the same purport that such person knows to be false, or who, with fraudulent intent, publicly distributes or imports for public distribution any article bearing such notice or words that such person knows to be false, shall be fined not more than $2,500.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Yeah, that is copyright notice on something that is not yours.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Found this at http://www.fplc.edu/tfield/copynet.htm

Registration.
Although web pages and email messages are protected as soon as created, copyright registration is needed before U.S. owners can bring suit. Also, prompt registration provides remedies that make lawsuits affordable. Statutory damages of $150,000 (or more, and attorney fees) for willful infringement can be obtained if published works are registered within three months, or unpublished works are registered before they are infringed.

Registration costs only $30.00, and simple application forms with basic instructions are available from the Copyright Office -- TX still appears to be the best choice. Yet, it would be prohibitively expensive for prolific authors or artists to register individual items other than in the context of existing disputes. Their options much improve when multiple works can be registered as a collection.

** Web pages.
The entire contents of a web site no more require multiple registrations than a book with many chapters and numerous illustrations -- or a CD with text and music, still and animated graphics, and software. Copyright Office Circular 66 contains a brief discussion. However, the following could mislead those unfamiliar with copyright:
Revisions and updates
Many works transmitted online are revised or updated frequently. For individual works, however, there is no blanket registration available to cover revisions published on multiple dates. A revised version for each daily revision may be registered separately.... A separate application and $30 filing fee would be required for each....
While new text isn't covered by prior registrations, it is difficult to see why a court would allow someone to get away with copying a page of mostly registered content merely because it contains a few new sentences or other changes!

** Email.
If a list owner wants to register threaded list contents, that should be possible -- particularly if copyright has been assigned by members. The main thing that seems unclear is how much time could be spanned by a single registration. Given that "prompt" registration means within three months of "publication", that period makes sense.

The situation for email authors is much more ambiguous. First, group registration of several periodical contributions by a single author is possible, but combining email posts would require liberal interpretation of the term "periodical." Alternatively, email authors might register their "unpublished" collections, but that presents a different problem: Are messages to "public" lists "published" for all purposes, or might they be regarded as "unpublished" for registration purposes? Perhaps because no one has tried to register, the Copyright Office has so far posted no information.

Notice.
For several years, copyright notice has not been required in the U.S. Until then, however, that was not true; notice may be needed to rebut lingering notions that works published without notice can be used by others without restriction.

** Web pages.
Again, web pages are simpler. Although a formal notice is not required, it is best to provide a notice such as appears at the bottom of this page.

** Email.
Notice on individual email messages (if blanket notice is not provided, say, in a welcome message) may also be useful. Something as straight-forward as "Please do not forward this message without permission" should be legally adequate as well as honored by most recipients. It is hard to see any advantage to traditional notices.

·
Registered
546 Posts
No, read more carefully, thats about putting a copyright notice on something of yours even though you dont have a legal copyright. It says "places on any article", doesnt matter if its yours or someone elses that you know is not a legal copyright.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
lets just keep it simple guys, these foos that are posting the pics on ebay cant even spell or worry bout putting the right information on the page. even if we just have a small watermark that says TUSF in the corner, they either will not know how to remove it, or bother with it and find an easier target

·
Registered
546 Posts
You still have to register one though. You just don't have to register again for more changes.

i got my info off.
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html#512

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Well read what I posted. I am not good with any laws but the way it sounds, everything on this site is already protected. All I have to do is spend $30 then I will be able to sue people. More trouble than it is worth. And who is going to fine you if you have a copyright on something that is yours where you didn't go through the process of giving your $30 to get make the notice legit? Is there a crew of people going around and looking for illigal copyright notices on materials? Just curious, that's all. [:)]

This shows who can claim a copyright.
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wccc

Also read this from the same site.
HOW TO SECURE A COPYRIGHT
Copyright Secured Automatically upon Creation
The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently misunderstood. No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright. (See following Note.) There are, however, certain definite advantages to registration. See "Copyright Registration."

Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created, and a work is "created" when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. "Copies" are material objects from which a work can be read or visually perceived either directly or with the aid of a machine or device, such as books, manuscripts, sheet music, film, videotape, or microfilm. "Phonorecords" are material objects embodying fixations of sounds (excluding, by statutory definition, motion picture soundtracks), such as cassette tapes, CDs, or LPs. Thus, for example, a song (the "work") can be fixed in sheet music (" copies") or in phonograph disks (" phonorecords"), or both.

If a work is prepared over a period of time, the part of the work that is fixed on a particular date constitutes the created work as of that date.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Originally posted by arctic-cat-guy
[br]lets just keep it simple guys, these foos that are posting the pics on ebay cant even spell or worry bout putting the right information on the page. even if we just have a small watermark that says TUSF in the corner, they either will not know how to remove it, or bother with it and find an easier target
Exactly. I don't think they would bother with attempting to remove it. There will be easier targets out there for them.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts