Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
Crazy couple of days over here working on this machine, will try and put as much information as possible, any advice is helpful.

I have a 1996 polaris indy xlt accs, compression is just above 100 psi in each cylinder. Plugs and wires are new. Fuel pump is new and draws fuel. The throttle cable and lever are not hung up or engaged (as far as I can tell)

I have cleaned all three carbs all holes are visibly clear.. the carb adjustments are at a relatively stock setting about 1.5 turns on the idle screws and 3/8" open air inlet..

I do not have a drive belt on the machine right now thankfully or I would have gone through the garage door.

The engine was rebuilt at 5000 miles, previously one cylinder read 18 psi.. and since the rebuild it has been madness.

what would cause the machine to default to 8-9000 rpm upon starting.

Poorly adjusted carbs? Fuel system issue? Is it possible the snowmobile is possessed?

I imagine it shuts off on its own at or just below 10000 rpm for safety reasons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a similar forum listed under "Big Problem."
Possible solutions > Syncing carburetors > replacing crank seal > replacing throttle cables they could possibly be sticking.

I guess I'll get started and keep this updated

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Do not, I repeat....DO NOT operate the sled without a belt and the belt guard securely in place.

Something is wrong with the throttle system. How does the sled start? Choke and a cple pulls or ??? Take the airbox off and verify that all 3 carbs are at least mechanically connected to the throttle cables. With the machine OFF, stick your fingers in and verify all 3 slides move and return via the throttle. Report back.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
White xc > Roger that on the installed belt while Operating... ill just be careful. the machine is a rough start, it takes some patience. Alot of pulls. Spraying a little mixed gas in there and it's first pull.

The cables are all connected, they do not look damaged, the 3 connected to the top of the carbs are in good operation and move at the same time. The throttle is smooth as well. But it acts like it is in full throttle, i checked The throttle lever is at the minimum setting.

Confirmed the carbs do open and close using throttle.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Next up would be to search and find the service manual and go through a complete set up on all 3 carbs, starting with throttle cutaway, usually set with a drill bit of specific size. Verify carbs are 100% clean(jets, air passages), float height, chokes set to spec, etc.

There just isn't that much to it and that sled doesn't have the brains to do anything more than it is mechanically asked of. If the throttle is working and you have a belt on it shouldn't be more than some tweaking of the carbs to get them to pull even and not want to shoot to the moon.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Good luck. Post up your findings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Followed guidance on this forum, whitexc was 100% correct about putting the belt back on.. a different forum recommended removing the belt after a rebuild for first start.. seems silly now that I've done it.

The idle dropped to a more manageable level. The machine did move on its own with no throttle engagement... but not anything uncontrollable. Again I restarted with carb settings... which helped.

HOWEVER. My machine is equipped with the ACCS "module" that goes in to the air Intake.. and to all the important stuff. the manual has a tiny blurb about this and says adjusting this will likely lead to engine damage.. I took a look at it and noticed the nut that holds the adjustment is missing and clearly been tampered with..

Apparently this ACCS thing has to do with Airflow and elevation.. I think it's possible this could be causing my constant throttle problem. Hopefully I can replace it.. I don't plan on trying to adjust it back unless someone here knows something I don't.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Nice. Never tinkered with the ACCS. Thanks for following up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do not, I repeat....DO NOT operate the sled without a belt and the belt guard securely in place.

Something is wrong with the throttle system. How does the sled start? Choke and a cple pulls or ??? Take the airbox off and verify that all 3 carbs are at least mechanically connected to the throttle cables. With the machine OFF, stick your fingers in and verify all 3 slides move and return via the throttle. Report back.

That was the first thing I thought of, no belt?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ended up bringing the machine to a repair shop. Long story short they cannot fix it either.. nobody can get this thing running right. Can't troubleshoot any specific problem with machine.

Will be getting rid of this machine and starting over

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Sorry to hear it couldn't be brought back to life. Look for something newer and with a twin, not a triple. Not as fussy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts