Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm thinking about buying a sled that is currently for sale in my area.

It's a 1993 Polaris Indy 500 EFI. Water cooled etc.. The owner claims it ran good. And was sellling for $1100.00 CDN

I made an appoitment, and went down with a friend who is a sled enthusiast. Anyways, to keep this short. We got there, and the sled woudl not start at all. No fuel. Lots of spark, but no fuel.

The seller aggreed to 900.00 as is, and claims that the thing was starting fine earlier that day, and he rode it all last season. He seemed pretty legit, and really did not want us to buy a sled that did not work.

To answer some potential questions. My friend gave it a once over, and said that the link was in mint shape, other than the no fuel issue, and that it had ltos of compression, lots of spark, great track, no leaks, etc...

So today, I'm debating picking this thing up, and fixing it. What do you all recommend. And do you think that $800.00 is a fair price, given the circumstance?

·
Registered
80 Posts
those EFI's if they dont have a good battery...ther not gunna start! went and looked at mine and smae thing.. niice shape, new track and everything, but no go... would not start.. but brought it home anyway and .. charged the battery.. 1 pull! bam runnin' like nothing.. ended up putting a brand new battery in it but still.. id go for it no doubt man

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Blaker072
[br]those EFI's if they dont have a good battery...ther not gunna start! went and looked at mine and smae thing.. niice shape, new track and everything, but no go... would not start.. but brought it home anyway and .. charged the battery.. 1 pull! bam runnin' like nothing.. ended up putting a brand new battery in it but still.. id go for it no doubt man
Cool. Well, I bought it. I made the guy a deal on the phone. If he can get it started, I'll give him 1,000. If not, then 800. He ws cool with that, and we both seem prtty happy with the outcome. I'm gonna pick her up this weekend. He said he put a new battery in, so... I'm hoping bad fuel, or maybe clogged filter...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, I got the sled home. I tried some things last night. I drained out the old fuel, and added some fresh 94 octane. I replaced both fuel filters. And I replaced a corroded ground strap between engine and battery.

Still no start. It's getting spark though, and the fuel pump primes(noisy) when you pull start. No fuel coming out of injectors. Either of them.

Second thing. I tested the ECU by unplugging the Intake Air sensor. I did not see any blinking of the LED, even during cranking? Is this normal, or should the ECU respond right away.

Thanks...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts