Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i got a powder coating machine for xmas, and was looking over the sled and wondering where to start, just wondering if anyone has ever powdercoated there studs?, i think it'd hold up pretty good if you dont ride on the road much, with the right color combinations of studs and backers, it'd be a pretty sweet accent to the sled, anyone ever tried to this or heard of anyone doing it, any ideas why it might not work?
just an idea, could be a stupid one, but who knows

·
Registered
542 Posts
Problem #1- Even powercoat will wear off extremely quickly from a stud, just way too much friction.
Problem #2- Even before you install the studs you have a problem. The powercoat is very thick and will fill in the threads on the studs so the nut will no longer screw on. You could go over it with a thread die but then you would just be removing the powdercoat you just put on.

So your telling me you cant think of anything better to powdercoat? Do your trailing arms, radius rods, handle bars, etc.

You may want to wait till spring though, it can take time to disasemble, prep, reassemble parts and you dont want to miss any riding time.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I been looking for a powdercoating machine... what one did you get? any links to site for price and specifications?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can think of plenty to powdercoat on the sled, i just thought the tips of the studs green with green backers would look pretty sweet, just kickin around ideas, if it doesnt snow soon im not going to be able to wait till summer to mess with it, but that was my original intentions, start tearin down and blastin in march , have it back together for grass drags in august

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Originally posted by 01cbr
[br]
Do your trailing arms
He rides a cat..... no trailing arms, but you could do your A arms, pipes/can, rails, etc.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got my machine from harborfreight tools, it was 100 bucks, no powder or anything, www.caswellplating.com sells machines and they also have tons of powder and a whole forum dedicated to powdercoating and polishing, tons of usefull information on that sight

·
Registered
542 Posts
[br]
Originally posted by Pance
[br]
[br]
Do your trailing arms
He rides a cat..... no trailing arms, but you could do your A arms, pipes/can, rails, etc.
Same thing, i'll be looking to nit pick at your next post bud.
...why not start with this one.

I dont think standard powdercoat holds up well on a hot exhaust.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
^^^^^ What???? I am slightly confused.

Sorry if I pissed on your cheerios.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dont have to worry about the exhaust, its already chrome!!! haha, they do sell hight emp powder coat, dont know whether or not it'll hold up to the temps, but all i need to do is my can, the pipes look pretty damn sweet as they are

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Would look cool but i think it will wear off in no time on ur studs, So its not worth the effort! I wish i had a powder coating machine! I have to redo my a-arms! Spindles dont match the a-arms on the sled im building!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The way things are looking this year, the studs might not see much fricition , haha

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
This is true if you have the time and cash do it!!! lETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS???? If you get the chance to ride it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts