Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I own a polaris indy 650 with pipes and I'm looking at getting a new clutch I'm thinking about the power-bloc clutch because they are maintenance free and I hear good things about them but what I would like to know is what are your experiences with them how did they perform I'm worried there will be some lag because they don't have rollers so there must be more friction and is there any other clutch you would recommend and why

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
whats a power block clutch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There built by cv tech they were popular in the 80s and are now on production sleds like the new 2014 polaris 550 fan

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The fact that they are used on the 550 should be evidence enough that they are not a performance clutch. Sounds like you'd be taking a step backwards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 550 uses the powerbloc 50 I would be look at purchasing th powerbloc 80 that the skidoo turbo owners buy because they hold together better

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
they are an aftermarket primary clutch.
personally you are better off with the clutch you have.

there is a countless supply of weights and springs to tune the clutch you have.

I think it would be hard to do a better clutch then the tra.

Reactions: NateP

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
If the power-loc was so much better than a P85 you can bet polaris would either have it on their machines or something simular. There isnt a clutch made that is more efficiant than the P85. Its a proven fact!!! Polaris may not make the most power but they get the most hp to the track.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Tra's are on skidoo I have a p85 which is just an old comet clutch polaris has used forever
Madcow without a doubt knows that TRA is a skidoo thing, what he was getting at is that the power-bloc 80 would be hard to beat the TRA on those skidoo turbos.

Stick with the P85 and get it rebuilt. I looked at a blow-up view of these power blocs and all I can say is it looks incredibly inefficient in terms of friction loss of those sliding blocks.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
lol! do what you want your going to anyhow!

from a clutch tuning point of view the TRA is pretty hard to beat.

the tra vs the bloc clutch does have more of its mass on the outer diameter so the other clutch might work great on the 4stroke turbo where you need that help to get rpms up.

compared to your narrow roller p-85 I see no gain on a radar or timers from the bloc vs working with what you have already.

if you are set on spending 500 bucks I would get a primary off the 800 xcr, it is a wide roller and shimmed for the wide belt. get a newer cam adjust secondary if you don't have one and shim it for the wide belt.

I would put a p-85 with heal clicker or heavy hitter weights running a button clutch against any trail aftermarket primary secondary setup. dollar for dollar the old clutching is pretty amazing.

for 2500 dollars you can get a pretty nice primary that are the clutch to have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts