Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snowmobiling is new to me this year, I am a liscenced automotive tech of 25 years and should be able to figure this out, but I would really like to know what you sled freeks think of this. I have a 94 v-max 500st long track. The helix in there is a 39 dagree. I have tried every location with the spring and can't get it right. If it's too tight I can get 75-80 mph and I don't feel a shift. If I back it off I feel a shift and it will hit 90mph but it feels like it wants to go faster. It pulls and then nothing then it pulls again then nothing. Its like the belt is going up and down but not staying in high gear. Could it be the secondary? or is there not enough clamping force in the primary? I have tried a new belt with no change. I'm not sure what waights and spring are in the primary. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You just explained exactly what happens when the spring is too loose or to tight. Snowmobile clutching is always a compromise. The factory setting is usually the best compromise. I suggest you find the stock settings and leave it there. 90 miles an hour seems very good for that sled. I wouldnt think it would go faster.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out it wasn't the clutch. I upped the jets and the thing hit 95mph. I'm lucky I didn't melt a piston. I guess Yamaha's don't blow up when you lean them out. At least not this one. Funny thing is I checked the pistons with a borescope and they were black like it was running rich.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. The piston wash is the most reliable method of checking. As you said it is strange what you found.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts