Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im guessing that my srx 700 power valves are pretty dirty after 4000 miles any tips on cleaning them? and remember i havent done any engine work before so when explaining, explain it so i can understand.

·
Registered
506 Posts
ok, grab an allen key set, (I believe you need a 2.5mm) on the valve there will be 4 allen screws around where the valve goes in. pull those screws out (don't drop 'em, and watch the bottom one on the pipe side of your pipe side cylinder, it's hell to get out). once you have all the allen screws out, pull the valves out as gently as possible one at a time. lay out a rag on the pipes to set the valves on once they're out. try not to bend the cables to much as they come out.

ok, now with all of them out, get a real sharp paint scraper. and go like hell on the valves, they should be a golden/brass type colour beneath all the carbon.

it's quite possible that when you pull them out you'll have to yank pretty hard on 1 or 2 of them to get them out (stuck valves) stuck valves REALLY hurt performance.

ok, once they're all clean (easier said than done, TRUST me) put 'em back into the engine (dome side down)and snug up those allen screws

this would also be a really good time to align them, as they're probably WAY outa wack after 4000kms. you can do this 2 ways.

first, take the heads off the engine. start on one side, spin the crank until that piston is at BDC.

now comes the split, there's 2 ways to do this, one is to spend the $30 on a powervalve tester (recommended) and the other is to open up the module and spin the spring thing (valve actuator) the point of these methods is to open the valves all the way.

now roll back the sheave on the valve cords on the servo, there will be adjustment nuts there.

reach into the engine and into the exhaust port, you should be able to feel the valve. when the valve is totally open it should feel perfectly flush with the rest of the exh manifold. you can adjust where the valve rests in the cylinder.

if you clean and align yer Pvalves properly it should gain you substantial hp (if they where gummed up to begin with)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Wow ! very good job Junior!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Originally posted by sno-king
[br]im guessing that my srx 700 power valves are pretty dirty after 4000 miles any tips on cleaning them? and remember i havent done any engine work before so when explaining, explain it so i can understand.
[8D]I suggest takeing it to your dealer,with no experiance you will likely run into trouble.if not done properly.besides it isent expensive to get done.[:)]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i didnt quite understand how to get to the valves with the whole takeing the heads off and after that i lose ya

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
if you don't have a valve tester I Don't reccomend doing it, just have a dealership take a crakc at it, they shouldn't charge you more than $100 I would think, and like I said badly set vavles = bad running. I don't believe you have to set the cylinder to BDC or remove heads you just feel in through the exhaust and tweak the vavles with the help of the tester. Done it on the Viper.

·
Registered
506 Posts
it's not a big deal snoking

I dunno where you lost me, but your valves probably don't NEED alignment, but they could likely use it.

you can get the valves out without popping a the heads, but to align them, you pull the heads off, and put the valves back in.

after your vavles are in and your heads are off, open the valves via a tester or pulling the spring

then reach down into the exh manifold (hand in the top of the jug, and out the exh manifold) and feel the valve, you want it flush with the manifold.

·
Registered
506 Posts
sorry, I"ll try to keep up to date on this post, but if I forget about it and let it go dead, PM me, Email me, MSN, ICQ, whatever, I can explain how to do this, it's no big deal at all.

and in the service manual it'll probably have a fairly confuseing way of explaining how to do it. but it'll probably have some nice pictures! : )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts