Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do for pre-season other than change plugs? I do all my work in the spring, so winter is pull and ride.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Ultimatly I like to change the plugs and gear oil, grease all the zirks, blow out the primary with air and take apart the driven to clean and check buttons and clean the shaft. Sometimes I run emery cloth on the primary sheaves with the belt off to clean the crud. I do this with the engine running.

Pull the airbox to insure it isnt an apartment for critters.

Pull the skid to check the idler and bogie bearings, hyfax and grease zirks, recharge shocks and adjust the track tension. If I am real ambitious, I undo the 3 bolts behind the speedo housing to get at the bearing to give it a feel. Thats about it unless the exhaust gaskets are leaking bad. I should probably change the coolant and brake fluid this year in the 700 as its never been done.

I dont always go this far but at least every other year.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
For me I grease everything on the sled that has to be greased such as the rear skid, front suspension, radius rods, speedo, jackshaft, etc. I also change chain case oil, oil and fuel filter and clean the carbs.

Also change the plugs, check bearings, shafts, and everything else. I basicly tear apart the whole sled during the summer to check everything. Oh yeah, also clean the clutches too.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by Zrxpilot
[br]Ultimatly I like to change the plugs and gear oil, grease all the zirks, blow out the primary with air and take apart the driven to clean and check buttons and clean the shaft. Sometimes I run emery cloth on the primary sheaves with the belt off to clean the crud. I do this with the engine running.

Pull the skid to check the idler and bogie bearings, hyfax and grease zirks, recharge shocks and adjust the track tension. If I am real ambitious, I undo the 3 bolts behind the speedo housing to get at the bearing to give it a feel. Thats about it unless the exhaust gaskets are leaking bad. I should probably change the coolant and brake fluid this year in the 700 as its never been done.

Same here, then I add some hidden hp/clean up parts in the spring early summer. In the fall/early winter I buy clutch parts/body appearance parts on ebay.
Odd thing is noone puts sled parts up in the summer.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
For pre season maintenance, i take out my skid replace sliders check all bearing and wheels. then i send out my shocks to get redone, grease every thing up and throw it back in the sled. after that i move the the drive shaft check the key and the bearing, i usually change gears all through the year so the chain-case is always apart anyways. Then i move to the motor i clean my power valves add new gaskets usually some new carbides as well. after that i just grese everything and check it over.Then the first ride or tank of gas i check all the bolts in the sled to make sure everything stayed tight. i also forgot to put clean the carbs!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by Zrxpilot
[br]Ultimatly I like to change the plugs and gear oil, grease all the zirks, blow out the primary with air and take apart the driven to clean and check buttons and clean the shaft. Sometimes I run emery cloth on the primary sheaves with the belt off to clean the crud. I do this with the engine running.

That is pretty much what i do but you forgot the most important part. You should clean the carbs before the first ride of the season to make shure that it isnt clogged so it dosent run lean and roast the motor.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I normally try to have everything on the go for the first snowfall but today was a day were everything went wrong. We got about 30cm of snow. Just enough to go out for a small rip. Finally got my carbides in and 2 hrs later they were on. While i was putting them on i lost a ski spacer in the snow so i was another hour searching for that. While i was doing all that i had my sled tipped on its side so when i went to start it it was flooded real bad. In order to get at the plugs i have to take off the exhaust. After another 30mins of screwing around i see that the plugs are dead anyways. And the dealer just closed for the night and theres fresh snow i could be out enjoying.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Wow, some people go all out.

I just grease the skid and clean the carbs. If I need to change plugs, I will, but hasn't really been a problem yet. I go through enough of them while I ride. [;)]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts