Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i considering putting a Wiseco pistion set on my indy 500 with a 1.50 bore any suggestions or tips on any thing else i would have to do along with that to the sled
thanx

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
make sure the poeple doing the bore know what pistons you are using. give it good warm up idle time.

since you have it apart it would be easy to do some opening up on the case and jugs.

but. you might only gian 3-5 hp with a stock pipe. not much gained. with the bore job,cost of piston kit, and cost of performance parts. you could buy a used 98 600 tiwn. then you would have a heck of a gian.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
correct me if im wrong but i thought that the bigger bore just was a taller piston that made higher compression so i thought that you just dropped them in (there's more to it than that) and where good to go i didn't think that it was a lager diameter piston
i could be wrong

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by AHood
[br]after reading that response you should just lock your hood shut. dont ever mess with the engine or anything on the engine.
Agreed!

But, as ACE stated the bore is the diameter of the piston, so you'd need to take your jugs to a machine shop and have them bore out the cylinder. Really this whole thing would be pointless you would gain very little in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
My old indy was bored 1.5mm over which is the max that oversize pistons go for that engine. It pulled stronger then stock but it wasn't a huge deal.

correct me if im wrong but i thought that the bigger bore just was a taller piston that made higher compression so i thought that you just dropped them in (there's more to it than that) and where good to go i didn't think that it was a lager diameter piston
i could be wrong
A taller piston would make no sense. The top still would move the exact same distance. The only way you gain anything is with a longer connecting rod.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You should send the pistons along with the jugs when you get it punched out, like mentioned before, make sure the place knows what they are doing. Wiseco's are good pistons, if used right.

I might also suggest just taking the engine somewhere, doesn't sound like you know a whole lot about it and while this is the best way to learn it can be quite expensive if you mess something up while your in there. So either let an expert handle it or have a manual handy and follow directions, have a techy buddy handy or keep asking questions here and you'll probably get some good advice.

[red]No commercial posts unless you are an SF Supporter[/red]

·
Registered
258 Posts
Originally posted by Sno-X-treme
[br]My old indy was bored 1.5mm over which is the max that oversize pistons go for that engine. It pulled stronger then stock but it wasn't a huge deal.

i could be wrong
A taller piston would make no sense. The top still would move the exact same distance. The only way you gain anything is with a longer connecting rod.
Now I know that YOU KNOW better than that. A longer connecting rod wouldn't be any different than a taller piston. I believe you ment to say a longer crank throw (i.e. "stroked" which would increase displacement)

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by Jsledder
[br]You should send the pistons along with the jugs when you get it punched out, like mentioned before, make sure the place knows what they are doing. Wiseco's are good pistons, if used right.

I might also suggest just taking the engine somewhere, doesn't sound like you know a whole lot about it and while this is the best way to learn it can be quite expensive if you mess something up while your in there. So either let an expert handle it or have a manual handy and follow directions, have a techy buddy handy or keep asking questions here and you'll probably get some good advice.

[red]No commercial posts unless you are an SF Supporter[/red]
Takeittothelimit is correct a longer rod would just give you the same effect as a taller piston. You'd be simply moving the piston up slightly in the cylinder.

·
Registered
450 Posts
shorter rods actually..different piston pin height makes the diff, and longer circumference throws in the crank.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Originally posted by polarishauln
[br]correct me if im wrong but i thought that the bigger bore just was a taller piston that made higher compression so i thought that you just dropped them in (there's more to it than that) and where good to go i didn't think that it was a lager diameter piston
i could be wrong
You might want to take your sled to a shop and tell them what you want it to do and ask them what they will charge you to make your sled perform as you want.

Bore is cylinder diameter too, by the way.
And those white things on top of your motor with wires on them are spark plugs. lol

Any way, if you are trying to get a little more out of the little 500, try having your clutching and gearing set up to make the sled perform as well as it can for what it is.
From there, if you still have any money left, look to making it lighter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.