Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2004 Ski Doo Legend 380f with 1700 miles on it. The guy I bought it from said he only used premium gas and synthetic oil in it. I'm wondering if I can continue using premium gas or if the higher octane is not good for this motor? Thanks

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I would say regular gas will be just fine, but being an air cooled motor, it will run cooler with premium!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
You can but there really is not need.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. Looking forward to pushing a button to get it going now instead of pulling and that reverse is going to save my back! Bring on the ice and snow.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Not a high compression engine, running low octane fuel will not hurt it. This engine wont like synthetic oil, you will loose a lot of performance. It will run just as long with mineral oil as it will with synthetic.
Just so you know running high octane fuel will never hurt a motor(until you get into something like nos), in fact high octane fuel protects your motor. Your sled doesnt need it though.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Actually high octave fuel will make you low compression engine run weaker. It's made to reduce temperature and keep a high comp engine from pinging. So if you don't need it, then don't use it..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why do say synthetic oil is no good for this engine?? The guy I bought it off of said he's used it since new. If I change now to dinosaur fluid will it hurt the engine? Thanks

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Too thick, will just cause resistance. Synthetic oil is better for a high performance motor that is built with a lot less tolerances. Running mineral oil is your best choise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts