Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys use Premium or Regular fuel in your sleds?
What is the difference? I run a Polaris 1999 XC 500 w/midgrade
should I switch fuels[?]

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I wouldn't because of the price. You will see the performance increase, but not a whole lot. If your racing or hillclimb use the premium and trail riding the Regular works fine.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I use premium in the sleds that require it.

I some times use premium in the wifes 500 instead of switching the pump off and restarting it.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I use premium in my sle because it requires it. I know people who only run 87 in sleds that require 92 and havent had a problem (*yet). I guess its up to you, but if it says to run premium I would run it. I would stay away from the the midgrade, they are usually 10% ethanol. I would go 87 or 92.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
do a search this topic has been beat to death. Use what is recommended in your sled.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i use premium, because it helps keep the inside of the engine clean, and it adds a tad of horespower. but if your running regular now and its fine, then theirs no real reason to change

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Premium will not add power. Your sled will actually make the most power running with the lowest octane the engine can run without predetonation.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Every pump I have been to in northern Wi has had the up to 10% sticker on all grades.

You guys do realize that they add more crap (not sure what but it does help cold weather starting) to the fuel in winter to prevent freeze ups.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Winter gas mix is more volitaile, meaning it vaporizes eaiser- which combusts easier, so winter gas is definiltey better over summer gas for one.

But in the least 20 years volitility ratings have been going down, meaning fuel doesnt vaporize as easily, and it is not as flammable.

Ethanol would be great to run in sleds, if you had a high compression heads. Otherwise its not going to have any benefits. High comp heads need higher octane to reduce ping-which is why race cars n such run nitro methanol and crap, because they can and they need to.

As far as sleds, just run what is reccommended, either way you wont gain or lose much- especially with newer sleds that have more computer control.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Actually up until this year nascar was using 94 octane leaded but not this year I guess they are going to unleaded not sure what grade yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Stay away from reg or Mid as they have a high percentage of ethanol blended in. Also stay away from places that buy bulk gas and are not part of a major refinery!!! (Esso, Shell)

·
Registered
317 Posts
87 in mine and see no point in changing now.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
You guys do realize that they add more crap (not sure what but it does help cold weather starting) to the fuel in winter to prevent freeze ups.
that "crap" is ICOPROPINAL and you should mix it into your tank yourself, becuase they only add miniscule amounts, it vaporizes water so that it doesnt freeze like you said. that is the ONLY difference with winter and summer gas, (up here anyways)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not true about Premium fuel not creating more horsepower. It all depends on the sled and its setup. On my ProX, there is a switch for Premium or lower octane fuel. On the Premium setting, it advances the timing to create more horsepower.

So, it depends on the sled.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Ya it depends on your engine and compression. If you have the reg or premium switch, you will probably gain a little with premium. But with a normal sled that only requires 87 you will see no gains at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/transportation/consumer_tips/regular_vs_premium.html
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/041008.html
http://www.epinions.com/content_2346164356

·
Registered
548 Posts
we run both in our sleds but mostly premium but sometimes regular

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
In my sled I use 93 octane and set the octane switch to the premium setting. My sled just seems to run better that way.
93 octane fuel will make more power if you engine is set up to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
premium, mines not exactly stock though. Higher octanes dont give more power. More power comes from advancing the ignition, which will make you more prone to detonation. Race fuel or higher octane is then used to combate that.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts