Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Indy 500: When I switch to a blue primary clutch spring I like the engagement results (stock was Gold.) but it shifts out to quick and over revs with no top end speed. What can I do to the secondary clutch to compensate for this (Stiffer hole or Weaker Hole). Can someone explain to me exactly how the 2nd spring tension and helix effect the shift out. I think I have a grasp on it but I'd like Some re-assurance.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you are over revving because you are not shifting out fast enough, if you wanted to raise engagement you need the specs from the stock spring 100-250 if them were the stock numers than to raise engagement you would get a 120-250 or something like that. or you can now add more helix like if you have a 50-36 you could go to a 52-36. by changing the whole position on the helix and spring will also affect backshift. my favorite thing would be to throw a wieght with a little more tip mass on it, maybe the engagement would not drop to much but it would pull harder on top. but the easiest will to find the right primary spring or just go up in helix a little bit.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well the stock spring was 100-280 lbs. The blue spring is 120-285 lbs. You will have a higher engagement, but it will shift out slower due to the additional 5 lbs. and if you are over-revving it should only be about 100-200 rpms. You could add a little more weight to bring the rpms down, say 1 to 2 grams more on each. Or you can either go with a erlandson white spring which is 125-280 lbs. and will shift out the same as your stock spring or go with a 40-36 helix. That helix is about all a stock piston port 500 will pull. Your stock helix is either a straight 34 or 36. The stock secondary spring is super soft also. If you go with a performanc helix go with a erlandson yellow secondary spring or Polaris silver/blue spring. If you just soften up your stock helix/spring combo to upshift faster your backshifting will suck. Any more questions, just ask!!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

1 - 3 of 3 Posts