1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 yamaha mountain max 700
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/238076402.html
looking at buying
What does this guy mean by the primary clutch bolt being broken?
How bad of damage is that?
Is it an easy fix?
what do the think ?
how much $ would you estimate to fix a sled like this?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would probably say he is talking about the main bolt that holds that primary on the crank, if so you'll have to remove the clutch and extract the remaining of the orininal bolt.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
which won't be easy because the clutch puller needs to go in the hole where the snapped off bolt is stuck. you'd probably have to get a bolt extractor and take that snapped bolt out. if it's that simple then the only cost would be a bolt extractor kit and a new bolt.

·
Registered
713 Posts
But unless the extractor was very long, he would have problems getting it onto it? Also, if he did get it on how would he get something one it to turn it?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
last season my clutch bolt broke off right at my crank snout. I got lucky and i used a shard hook and it backright right out on the threads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am pretty mechanical ( I rebuild jap motorcycles to sell and race them)
So it would be an issue of just backing out he broken bolt and puting it back together.
ok
is problem common for these yamaha 700's
does it come from a bad design or abuse or what?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm not fluent with the yammi's, but most likely someone got torqe happy and over tightend it or just a bad bolt. I really depends.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Honestly it's not that big of a deal if you have the right tools.

Get yourself a screw/bolt extractor set and plan on removing the belly pan to get better access to it.

Sometimes when this happens you can actually unscrew the broken part with an eraser off a pencil.
The head of the bolt is the part that takes the torque. If the head of the bolt is gone there should be no torque on the remaining part of the bolt. You might be able to put the eraser up against the broken bolt and twist it out by hand.

If the erasor trick doesn't work this will: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=1261&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Make sure you get the correct size.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
My Buddie twisted his out by using a magnet on a stick. Or if you can find them, A long reverse drill bit should work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts