Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My primary is bad and I am looking for a replacement.

I did some searching and what I came up with is it has a P-85 w/ wide rollers.

Can someone tell me if this is correct? What sleds (prefferably newer) will interchange with this?

I am looking at getting a Heel Clicker set-up once I get this fixed because it turns out the springs in my sled were stock polaris springs (but not for my sled) and I think the reason for the high engagment was the shaft and bearings were shot, the outer part of the clutch won't slide down the shaft without the assistance of a hammer.... :(

·
Registered
821 Posts
Any polaris primary will work. I used a primary off a 2005 Classic and put it on my spx. Worked great.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by _FURF_
[br]Any polaris primary will work. I used a primary off a 2005 Classic and put it on my spx. Worked great.
Not any primary. You need one off a fuji. The libertys/domestic twin have the same taper just shorter. So the don't really snug down to where they should.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I would try to find a wide roller. Or one with the wide cover with the bigger bushing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I will start looking and see what I can find.

Another question; I found a good deal on a roller secondary from a dealer. Is this a worthwhile upgrade?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^^^Depends if you want top speed or kick butt trail backshifting.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]
Originally posted by _FURF_
[br]Any polaris primary will work. I used a primary off a 2005 Classic and put it on my spx. Worked great.
Not any primary. You need one off a fuji. The libertys/domestic twin have the same taper just shorter. So the don't really snug down to where they should.
Like I said, the P-85 I used came off of a 500 classic liberty engine. It worked fine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, I would like to say thanks for the input.

I have the same dealer looking for a wide roller primary. He is pretty sure he has one.

So, which is better for trail? The standard or roller? What is the actual difference in MPH going to be from one to the other?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I like the roller for the trail. top speed with be about 5-10 moh difference.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I doubt it. There is a large heavy poundage spring to overcome usually 220 lbs on top. Don't get me wrong it is a great trail/short lake burst clutch. I just don't feel as it is a great WO lake clutch. I also feel you can't match it's backshift with a button either. SO it is a lose-lose situation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]I doubt it. There is a large heavy poundage spring to overcome usually 220 lbs on top. Don't get me wrong it is a great trail/short lake burst clutch. I just don't feel as it is a great WO lake clutch. I also feel you can't match it's backshift with a button either. SO it is a lose-lose situation.
What do you mean by 220lbs on top?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Most sleds are using a 155-220 spring in the team roller. That is alot of lbs to compress.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is that in the secondary?

Not sure if it matters but this would be a stock roller secondary off a newer sled. Not sure if they run lower spring pressures than the aftermarket ones or not.

The guy at heel clicker told me to run a silver/blue 44-91lb spring in my secondary w/ a 50/36 helix along with his weights and spring for the primary.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Yes it is a team rapid reaction secondary on the newer "03+ sleds

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.