Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 680 ultra sp that the primary clutch has a stress fracture on the facing of the outer hub.

I am new to this sport and in the process of building this to drag race on asphalt. I have the new spring and weights that were sent to me as part of a clutch kit from PSI. ……………the question is what clutches can I interchange with this application, I am a poor very old unemployed college student so costs are a big factor and will have to buy used. Thanks for any input

Bill

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
any fuji motor clutch will fit on it. but if youre piping it or racing it youll want one from like a storm or larger cc sled with the wider rollers.
or find one for parts or the parts to fix yours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigwedgies said:
any fuji motor clutch will fit on it. but if youre piping it or racing it youll want one from like a storm or larger cc sled with the wider rollers.
or find one for parts or the parts to fix yours.
What cc are we talking about? As this spx is the only sled I have ever owned and I know absolutely nothing about other makes or models. I am assuming if I replace parts that it will need rebalancing and there are no sled shops around here to get parts or service from so I have to send it out to someone. And yes it does have PSI pipes and clutch kit
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
OK, I am a bit confused here on the sled description, in your first post you have stated that it is a 97 Ultra SP, then you mentioned SPX, the SP is a wedge chassis and the SPX is on the aggressive chassis, but never the less the primary clutch that came on both of these sleds are of the narrow roller variety and use the 066 standard width belt, most all wide roller clutch's whether they be off a Storm,XCR 800 or bull nosed wide roller XC 800 twin clutch are shimmed for the wider overdrive belts, so if you switched to the wide roller clutch you would also have to use the wide belt, for what its worth we have been running a narrow roller fuji clutch on our 800 big bore 99 aggressive chassis asphalt sled for a number of years and have not had any problems, it will depend on how much HP your motor setup will be making also, if you start pushing over 180 HP then I would suggest going to the more heavy duty primary clutch setup, but for now seeing your on a budget I would just try to find a good fuji triple narrow roller primary, a clutch off any XLT,XCR,XCR SP or any Ultra will work and they are all setup to use the standard width non-overdrive belt, typically a good used triple primary clutch can be found for anywhere from $75 to $150 depending on the seller, check the parts for sale forum on here or search craigs list, and then if all else fails there is EBAY also but expect to pay more on EBAY, good luck and if you have any more questions fire away and we will try to help you out, if I see any clutches for sale that might fit the bill for what your looking for I will let you know.

Here is a picture of 2 of our sleds coming back from a test run down the 1/4 mile, the red XCR is the sled I was describing to you, it is a 99 XCR 800 chassis that has a 96 XCR 600 SP motor in it that has a HTG 800 trail big bore kit in it with HTG triple pipes, bored carbs and some other goodies, I am guessing its putting out around 165 HP, the sled has been lightened up and with a 235 pound driver has run a best of 10.35 @ 119 MPH.

2010516213432966_8010.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bad …………..it is a spx /aggressive chassis. As far as I can tell its stock with psi race pipes, v force carbon fiber reeds and the clutch kit that Bruce at psi sold me and I do not plan on any more upgrades yet I am just trying to figure the package out and shooting for 1/8 mile consistency. I have drag raced door slammers and rails for 30+ years so the most of the science I understand just not the technology used on sleds. I have already installed new wall bros pro stock shocks up front (11 inch) and a set of w/b asphalt skis.
Now that I know what clutch to look for the only other thing that I need help with is the rear suspension? I am using the stock extra 10 skid, what I don’t know is what is required to convert it to asphalt use as far as track support wheels for the compost asphalt track or lowering and or shock useage . Is there any pictures or advice you can give me?
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
98700xc said:
OK, I am a bit confused here on the sled description, in your first post you have stated that it is a 97 Ultra SP, then you mentioned SPX, the SP is a wedge chassis and the SPX is on the aggressive chassis, but never the less the primary clutch that came on both of these sleds are of the narrow roller variety and use the 066 standard width belt, most all wide roller clutch's whether they be off a Storm,XCR 800 or bull nosed wide roller XC 800 twin clutch are shimmed for the wider overdrive belts, so if you switched to the wide roller clutch you would also have to use the wide belt, for what its worth we have been running a narrow roller fuji clutch on our 800 big bore 99 aggressive chassis asphalt sled for a number of years and have not had any problems, it will depend on how much HP your motor setup will be making also, if you start pushing over 180 HP then I would suggest going to the more heavy duty primary clutch setup, but for now seeing your on a budget I would just try to find a good fuji triple narrow roller primary, a clutch off any XLT,XCR,XCR SP or any Ultra will work and they are all setup to use the standard width non-overdrive belt, typically a good used triple primary clutch can be found for anywhere from $75 to $150 depending on the seller, check the parts for sale forum on here or search craigs list, and then if all else fails there is EBAY also but expect to pay more on EBAY, good luck and if you have any more questions fire away and we will try to help you out, if I see any clutches for sale that might fit the bill for what your looking for I will let you know.

Here is a picture of 2 of our sleds coming back from a test run down the 1/4 mile, the red XCR is the sled I was describing to you, it is a 99 XCR 800 chassis that has a 96 XCR 600 SP motor in it that has a HTG 800 trail big bore kit in it with HTG triple pipes, bored carbs and some other goodies, I am guessing its putting out around 165 HP, the sled has been lightened up and with a 235 pound driver has run a best of 10.35 @ 119 MPH.

98700XC, I thought the '97 Ultra SPX triple pipe had the wide roller clutch, and the 66 belt was the fitment. The '97 Ultra single pipe had the narrow roller clutch? Buddy of mine has the SPX SE triple pipe and has wide roller from factory, blew the clutch face and we struggled to find another wide roller, luckily at Haydays I spotted one for $75!! Ultrawillie has a narrow roller on his '96 Ultra that he has converted from single piped to triple fire breather. He bought wide roller clutch kit to rebuild his motor only to find out he has a narrow roller

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If someone has the dimensions on the rollers, I can maybe go off that mine measure aprox .660 inside id on the fingers on the yoke where the rollers go if that helps at all. Can’t measure the roller OD because it is still together
Maybe I am paranoid but it scares me that on the manufactures sticker it shows a model number, which comes back as a 97 ultra spx, the barrels are marked EC68PL03 which according to my Polaris factor manual comes back correct but no VIN number as it has never been stamped.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
wlabrum said:
If someone has the dimensions on the rollers, I can maybe go off that mine measure aprox .660 inside id on the fingers on the yoke where the rollers go if that helps at all. Can’t measure the roller OD because it is still together
Maybe I am paranoid but it scares me that on the manufactures sticker it shows a model number, which comes back as a 97 ultra spx, the barrels are marked EC68PL03 which according to my Polaris factor manual comes back correct but no VIN number as it has never been stamped.
I believe the wide roller is around .540 (polaris #1321622), don't know the dimension of the narrow roller but polaris part #1321457 is for Ultra SP

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
polaris1man said:
98700xc said:

98700XC, I thought the '97 Ultra SPX triple pipe had the wide roller clutch, and the 66 belt was the fitment. The '97 Ultra single pipe had the narrow roller clutch? Buddy of mine has the SPX SE triple pipe and has wide roller from factory, blew the clutch face and we struggled to find another wide roller, luckily at Haydays I spotted one for $75!! Ultrawillie has a narrow roller on his '96 Ultra that he has converted from single piped to triple fire breather. He bought wide roller clutch kit to rebuild his motor only to find out he has a narrow roller
You very well could be right as I looked up the part numbers for the rollers and they are different #'s for the SP vs. SPX, I though that only the storm came with the wide roller clutch but I guess I am wrong on that one, so obviously if it is in fact a wide roller clutch it is shimmed for the narrow 066 belt, .540 is the width of the wide rollers for sure, but in either case you can use a narrow roller clutch and get by using it.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok then i will run the narrow one and see how it goes, do you have any pictures for an extra 10 asphalt setup by chance 98700xc ????

Thanks Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So for the layman such as myself, what is the differance on wide roller versus narrow roller

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts