Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have the right puller -- i cranked it in really really tight, and nothing -- i got scared so i stopped. My buddy said to crank it in real tight again then give it a few whacks with a hammer and it should pop off. Should i do this? any other tips. Thanks

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Yeah you can hit the puller with a hammer. I've dont it lots of times before with no problems (but apparently it's bad for the crank[confused]). Also you can spray WD-40 on it I believe it helps too.

I couldn't get the one off my atv before and I don't know if this is bad but I tightened it and forgot about it and when I came back like an hour later I pulled on the wrench and it popped off.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Do not hit it with a hammer or use an impact unless you want to rebuild crank. The secret is to have a proper clutch holder. I get all clutches off 100% of time using hand tools. If I can find a picture I will post it.

However, you do not need to take clutch off to change spring.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah that was my other question -- i just need to change the spring and the weights-- so can i do that with it still on the crank?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
shnill said:
yeah that was my other question -- i just need to change the spring and the weights-- so can i do that with it still on the crank?
Yes!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Also if you pump a bunch of grease into the hole and put some thread tape on the puller the hydrolic pressure should pop it off without an issue.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Wedge a board inbetween the clutch cover and the belly pan so when you take the last bolt off it foesnt fly off with excessive force.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its all done -- finished it this afternoon -- i did it without taking the clutch off -- worked out fine --

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
shnill said:
yes, but with the IQ clutch arrangment with the plastics, it makes for a very tight working area. I would take it off

1 - 10 of 10 Posts