Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1998 Formula 3 700 and my primary doesn't seem to be shifting out all the way. I'm not really sure how far from the top the belt is supposed to go, but I put a marker line on it, and there was still about 1 1/4 of an inch left after a wot run. The sled halls a$$ up until about 80mph then just kinda quits. I've pulled it apart and cleaned it, tried again, and its the same. I can see were the arms stop on the ramps, but the rollers in the arms seem to be ok. The secondary is shifting out all the way. Could the primary spring be bad, and binding? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I think you Helix might need to be recut.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
It is the drive cultch the belt isn't rising on right (the one in the front of the sled) it should come up 1/8 of an inch above the front clutch when it at top end, what is you spring combination, and get someone to check the helix before you pay for a new one, it is fairly cheap to get it recut, so if you can just get it recut, oh by the way it's about $100.00 Can funds for a new stock Helix.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
hey f111, first off there are no dorks in here lol. if you are the same f111 you get it,

is your engine holding the right rpm? if it is, than start simple, lift it up on a stand. make sure the track spins ok and the drive train turns nice.
check for loose or brooken motor mounts, run it on the stand with the hood open, the engine will move a little but shouldnt move to much, with it on the stand see if it goes past 80 easily. while on the stand rev it up and watch the clutches to see how they move when they shift in and out.
get back and well take it from there.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Is there any belt residue or black marks on your primary clutch, especially on the upper end of the sheave??? It sounds like you don't have enough belt squeeze or maybe even a worn belt or even the wrong belt for your machine. You said your secondary is shifting out fully, so your ramp is not too steep. That part should be ok.

Also, are your RPM staying consistent all the way to top speed, or are they going up or down as you gain speed?

·
Registered
39 Posts
These sleds came way over geared from the factory. 26/43 is stock With mine geared down (24/44), clutched, and K+N style filters, a Camo Challenger .750 track, it would run 110+ MPH.

They are a great power plant, just need some help getting to the ground.

Alignment is always important.

If you would like, feel free to email me

[email protected]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It holds the RPM's right where there supposed to be, about 7900. It is all stock, and the top 1" of the clutch is clean as a whistle, no belt residue, nothing but a big black magic marker mark. As far as getting the helix cut, what am I looking for? Kinda new to this clutching stuff, although I have done quite a bit of reading about clutching, and I think(that could be scary) that I pretty much understand the basics. Thanks for all the input so far. Also I know the make a heavy adjustable pin kit for the arms, would they be worth trying? Thanks again.

MMP - Are you running the stock ramps and arms?

madcow - sorry not the same FIII

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Get somebody that knows sleds to check the Helix, they will know what to do, you need to check all the angles, it fairly hard to do, I don't even do it my self.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts