Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, call me cheap, but I have a question. I have an Indy 500 and I have stock primary weight and spring but it is not doing it for me. I need a higher engagement but don't want to overRev on shiftout. If I were to drill out the heel of my weights (I have an extra set) all the same diameter on the press. but left the tips alone could I acheive this, or do you think I'd put the balance all out of wack and destroy the clutch? I realize I would have to calculate the amount of weight to take out and at which point. the question is though whether you think this is possibly balance wise?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just change the primary spring. If you have the stock Polaris gold spring (100-280 lb.)in it, put in a erlandson white spring (125-280 lb.) This will raise the engagement 300 + rpm's. If you want more, go with a erlandson black spring (145-280 lb.), this spring will get you around 5000 + rpm's out of hole. Dont take weight off your weights or you will be overreving. The total amount of the weights control your max rpm. Yes, other clutching components contribute to this, but the weights are the main controller. Try it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
What you can do is notch the weights. I do this alot. if done correctly it works really well because you dont need stronger springs which puts more stress = wear on everything. Back in the days of the 650 indys I was doing this with great results. no bog and huge wheelies.

·
Registered
741 Posts
where ever the weight rests on the the roller at rest,is where you want the notch
,the higher engagement,is from the
weight trying to roll out of the indent[notch], is how you achieve the harder launch,
draw back,excessive belt cleareance,hard on drive line from the big hit, but it does work well​

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tune your engagement with the primary spring. All springs have a start and finish spring rate expressed in lbs. Your oem spring is probably a 120/280. the initail rate is measured with the spring compressed in the assembled clutch fully open. the finish rate is measured at the fully compressed position.
Simply pick a spring with a higher engagement rate and the same finish rate as stock. A 145 or 150 will work good. Eralndson, and or oem polaris have lots of springs suitable. Weight notching does work well too, a more sudden violent engagement. is fun for wheelies and drag racing but gets annoying fast trail riding and hard on driveline. Also is hard to do well unless you are skilled. I ruined quite a few weights grinding and notching. Was ok when they were not bushed and cheap, now a ruined set of weights is $100!!

If you're going to notch, notch where the roller rests on the weight with the clutch fully open. Best to notch one weight and play until it is right and then use it as a template to notch the other 2 so they are all the same.

Have fun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.