Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finaly got myself a 1990 Safari for my ice hut pulling. I've been trying to start this thing since i got it home. At the sellers house it fired right up. At my house my arm has fallen off. I've pulled the plugs and see they are all wet. I've let them dry out and tried and tried. I pulled off the primer hose that goes to the carb and it squirts lots of gas. I guess I'm just flooding this thing. I checked the plugs and they both have spark. Is there a trick to this primer thing? How do I unflood this thing? Could there be a problem with the carb? It looks like the Mikuni slider type. Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
How many times are you priming it? Also, ask the previous owner his procedure for starting it. It obviously worked well for him. Good luck.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Put new plugs in it and let it set for a little while, that will take care of the flooding problem. I have always found that with primers, a little is a lot. You dont need to pump the thing 20 times, 2-3 has always been good for me, and also the sled that I owned that had a primer had no choke, so you had to kind of feather the gas to keep it runnin till it warmed up. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
if the plugs are still firing and not fouled out, just hold the gas open a little bit to see if it will fire. Thats all it should take

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. I've got the carb out now and i"m gonna blow it out with shop air. I've been doing some reading on this site and found that these sled had CDI problems. Could it be i'm not getting a hot enough spark? Will decreasing the spark plug gap give me a better spark?

·
Registered
644 Posts
;lol ok i am an expert by now lol i spent 2 nights at -35 running in and out o my kitchen door ... clean carb.needles seats. and if ur good enough take ur fuel diaphram apart clean it all out ,,, also just for the sake of it dont prime ur sled.. hold throttle 1/2 to 3/4 and pull then when it starts if it starts to die hold the throttle a small amount i did this on my 84 safi

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I had an '78 Ski-Doo RV 340 and it would start on 2-4 pulls with 3 squirts of the primer. If you are pumping the primer any more than that I think you are giving it too much.
Put a new set of plugs in it and see what happens.
It could be that the CDI is bad, but if the previous owner could get it started no problem but you cant, perhaps the previous owner was doing something you are not.
I think you are pumping the primer too much and thats whats flooding it. Like I said, put a new set of plugs in it, give it 3 squirts of the primer and see what happens.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I put in a new set of plugs and nothing. I rechecked for spark and now there is no spark. I towed it home in the rain last night with no cover. Could something have gotten wet? Are these sleds like the old Dodge Omnis that crapped out when it rained?? I read somewhere the CDI is a common problem with these. Heading to the dealership to find a manual to help me out. Thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
OKAY, STOP
a cdi works or doesn't work. you have spark
Your plugs are WET, your sled is FLOODED
it has NOTHING to do with your carb (blowing it out will do nothing) because your sled is flooded.
When you start a sled with a primer COLD, you give it 2 to 3 primes and hold the throttle 1/8 to 1/4 open and pull.
When it has been running you should not have to prime it at all
To get your FLOODED sled running, insert plugs, hold throttle open 100% and pull your guts out (an other person may help)
If you have gas, spark and compsession it will start
As far as your water idea, what does your sled ride on.......snow.......what is snow..........frozen water.........what happends when snow gets under the hood.......it melts.......and with the water in the engine compartment, it keeps runing
You are just over thinking a simple problem, and so many people think the problem for anything is the CDI, stator or coil which is wrong 98% of the time.
I also answered your question in an other post

good luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it running. Put the dehumidifier and a heater in the garage and half an hour later it fired right up. Thanks for spelling it out for me teamnfg. I did it your way after all the drying and it worked after my other arm fell off. Now if only we could get some frozen lakes up here.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had a Polaris 440 GT fan cooled that liked to flood easily. When it did, I had to remove the pipe and stand it on end so the fuel could drain and eveporate. Then I would pull the plugs in the bottom of the crankcase and go in the house for a cup of jag before trying to start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts