Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i still have the stock bars on my sled, and i think its time for some new ones. i want a nice pair of pro taper bars or renthal fat bars, whats a good website or two where i can findsome cheap ones? i drive a 2003 skidoo mxz rev. also will i be able to keep handguards on. i also allready have a 4 inch riser block on, will i need cable extentions or anything?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
http://www.protaper.com/index.html

There is their snowmobile section somewhere on there.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Any ATV/MX taper bar will work for your application, if you find a bend you like. You don't have to fork out the big bucks for a name brand bar just because they work on sleds. You will need a bar clamp adapter if you already have a pivot adapter since you will now be running a 1 1/8" bar at the clamp, whereas your stock bars are 7/8". If your bars are stationary (non-pivot) you will probably need a new riser that fits taper bars.

As far as extensions go, I would not think you would need them since you are not raising them much. I'm not a Doo guy though, so I wouldn't know for sure.

I'm running Longhorn 6061 bigbars on my 98 Cat ZR. I got mine from Rocky Mountain ATV. They were available in a bend I liked, and were only $30 or something. They have since been discontinued. It just goes to show that cheaper brands can still get the job done. I've tipped, rolled, and abused mine with no bent or broken bars yet.

71672.jpg 48496.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all right thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so u might be able to tell i dont know much about aftermarked bars on sleds, but mx/atv bars will hold up good in winter? theyll be just as strong if not strong as the stock bars correct?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
They hold up fine. From what I've seen, sled and MX bars are all made of the same type of materials...be it Aluminum or Steel.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Quinlan said:
Any ATV/MX taper bar will work for your application, if you find a bend you like. You don't have to fork out the big bucks for a name brand bar just because they work on sleds. You will need a bar clamp adapter if you already have a pivot adapter since you will now be running a 1 1/8" bar at the clamp, whereas your stock bars are 7/8". If your bars are stationary (non-pivot) you will probably need a new riser that fits taper bars.

As far as extensions go, I would not think you would need them since you are not raising them much. I'm not a Doo guy though, so I wouldn't know for sure.

I'm running Longhorn 6061 bigbars on my 98 Cat ZR. I got mine from Rocky Mountain ATV. They were available in a bend I liked, and were only $30 or something. They have since been discontinued. It just goes to show that cheaper brands can still get the job done. I've tipped, rolled, and abused mine with no bent or broken bars yet.

71672.jpg 48496.jpg
i like that bar set-up, looks really clean!

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
mxz440kid said:
Thanks. That's what I was shooting for. It was alot of extra work, but it paid off in the end.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Quinlan said:
mxz440kid said:
Thanks. That's what I was shooting for. It was alot of extra work, but it paid off in the end.
no problem
and its quite expensive aswell. i have been debating on cleaning up my bars for this year, but we'll see!
you said its a lot of extra work? how much did that set up cost you?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
mxz440kid said:
no problem
and its quite expensive aswell. i have been debating on cleaning up my bars for this year, but we'll see!
you said its a lot of extra work? how much did that set up cost you?
For my application, it took more work to achieve a clean setup. Factory, the sled had bulky plastic controls on each side of the bars that housed the handwarmer and light switches on one side, and the thumbwarmer switch, kill switch, and throttle on the other. I did away with all the plastic garbage and rewired the hand/thumb warmer and light switches into the console below the bars I then fit a SnoPro kill switch and two piece throttle block onto the bars to complete the task.

I believe I had around $350 into the setup when I was done with it.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I've got the MX Chad Reed bend on my 800. There's a pic in my gallery. I love mine. Perfect heighth.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I ordered the Raptor ATV bend for my Polaris, the bars themselves added about 3.5 inchs of rise and I put that on top of the 4" riser that was there already. I stand up and the bars are right where they belong.

Couple things though, the bars I chose are quite a bit wider than the originals and I had to extend the wires going to my right side bar warmer. Next thing, going from a steel bar to an aluminum bar, which do you think hold heat better? The steel ones! On a cold day my hands get cold from the aluminum bar dissipating the heat from my bar warmers. I haven't tried this yet myself but a buddy of mine put TAG Metals bars on his Doo and he filled either ends of the bar with Big Gap filler (expand a foam, the crap from a can!). Said it's good! Obviously this may not work if you have warmers on the inside of the bars and not elements on the outside...

Good luck!

Spence

1 - 14 of 14 Posts