Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 pro x 440 that i will be putting a 98 700 motor in. What motor staps will i need to make this happen. Also, any tips from someone who has done this swap before would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
your gonna need straps from a Big Block Pro-x7-800, Your going to have to change you water pump cover to a 99 and newer style. You will need a pro-x 7-800 exhaust.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dodger said:
your gonna need straps from a Big Block Pro-x7-800, Your going to have to change you water pump cover to a 99 and newer style. You will need a pro-x 7-800 exhaust.
When you say i need to change the water pump cover, what is the reason for this. I have a cover from a 2001 non ves 800... will that work?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
dodger said:
Problem is that the pro-x 700/800 are VES, and the '98 700 is non-VES. Pipes between VES and nonVES systems are different.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
liquidforce said:
dodger said:
When you say i need to change the water pump cover, what is the reason for this. I have a cover from a 2001 non ves 800... will that work?

yes your water 2001 pump cover will work.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
dodger said:
Problem is that the pro-x 700/800 are VES, and the '98 700 is non-VES. Pipes between VES and nonVES systems are different.
yes I realize that....But who makes a non ves pipe(pipes) set up for a Pro-x? The ves pipe will work, I have witnessed it done. Is the engine running to full potential...prob. not. On another note you can canablize a stock 98 xc pipe or even an aftermarket set up and cut and weld to fit. A Pro-x y pipe will be a must to clear the shock tower support bar.( Keep in mind if you start modding exhausts and cutting and hacking you loose performance as well)

You could mod the support bar and use a 98 y-pipe also....

The easiest is to just use the pipe and y that is made for the chassis and maybe have a bit of performance loss.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
should i run the stock 440 gearing? Is it possible to run the 98 carbs and still make them fit in the 440 airbox? How bad is it to delete the air box and run the k&n filters? Also should i get a stock pro x 700 silencer or should i get an aftermarket... i want to sled to be reliable, my wife will mainly be riding it.

I checked the part #s on the 01 800 water pump cover and the 98 700... they are identical... so will the 98 work?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i also just looked up a pro x 700 water pump cover and it has the identical # as well, so it looks like im all good

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One other question! should i run the stock 440 clutches or should i use the 98 700's?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
You are getting bogus information. The 99 and newer water pump covers have a hose barb nipple in a different location than the 97-98

stop and read this link....lot of good info

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/311-pro-x/343664-does-700-big-block-liberty-drop-pro-x-s.html

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
i put a non ves 600 into a 01 xcsp last spring for my h20x sled as said you need the newer waterpump cover so it wont hit the steering i diddnt use an airbox so im not a huge help there but we had a custom motor plate made so it was a bit stronger than using the straps but straps from a bigblock prox will work also. i would change the gearing otherwise it will be geared very low. and also as for the pipes we removed the shock tower brace so not alot of help there either but there is a few pics in my gallery of what we had to do

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
polaris91 said:
i put a non ves 600 into a 01 xcsp last spring for my h20x sled as said you need the newer waterpump cover so it wont hit the steering i diddnt use an airbox so im not a huge help there but we had a custom motor plate made so it was a bit stronger than using the straps but straps from a bigblock prox will work also. i would change the gearing otherwise it will be geared very low. and also as for the pipes we removed the shock tower brace so not alot of help there either but there is a few pics in my gallery of what we had to do
Dodger you are 100% right...and you should be, your a certified polarisman... haha. i was looking at the recoil cover, not the water pump. i do have the water pump cover off a big block 800, so im good to go. What are your thoughts on the 440 gearing? Also, it time to put a new top end in my 800... do i got with oem pistons or wiscos... i know i need to watch warm up with the wiscos, but other than that... are they ok? The compression used to be 150 in each. Now its 145 in one and 125 in the other. If the cylinders are ok should i just hone them and put pistons in, or should i have them bored?

Oh yeah, and will walker evans clickers off a pro xr fit my xc? I know the chassis is different, but will they fit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts