Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an 02 pro x 440. what kind of top end do these sleds get? Would one say that these r a race only sled? Is it going to be harsh if i take it on the trails. I kind of like the idea of a lighter sled.

Rich

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I'd say "YES" to all your questions. Yes, it'll be harsh with shocks that are setup for racing, but if you can take it, go for it! It's great for trail-bashing. If it's too harsh you could always adjust or re-valve them.
Depending on how the machine is setup, you should normally see about 95-100 mph top speed. My 98 440 xcr will do about 100 mph, so that's just a comparison.
Some say the 440's tend to be rather picky about jetting for the correct temp, etc...but honestly, i never have that problem. I only alternate between 3 different jet sizes for all conditions, and it works great. And if i just leave the richer jets in all the time, it still runs good. I trail ride my machine all the time, over various states, and it's great. A little stiff sometimes, yes, but i'm still young enough to take it.
A light weight sled is so much fun, i say go for it!

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Oh yeah, you might want to check if it has the high compression heads, because that requires race fuel. If you plan to ride trails alot, you can purchase a lower compression head that will operate safely on pump fuel. Chances are it is not equiped with oil injection, so you may need to decide whether that is what you want.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Unless it's got a trail kit on it it's only got a 3 gallon fuel tank and no oil injection.I think the real racer requires 110 octane fuel.You better check out how it's set up for trail use.I have a 02 Pro X fan cooled and it's picky as hell as far as jetting goes, but it always goes like hell if you run it hard.I like the lightweight and stiff suspesion.It will take a beating.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awsome thanx guys. I will check on that stuff. I kinda like the idea of a stronger stiffer suspension cause i kept breakin mine on my XLT. thanx again.

Rich

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
No experience with the polaris but a 440 race sled handles great and is a blast on the trails and ditch banging had a chance to ride a 440 Sno Pro a couple years back and it has some Balls for a 440 and was easy to through around in the ditch a real blast to ride. Don't think you would be dissappointed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts