Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is looking at buying a leftover new 2003 pro-x 800. He can get it for $6500. Does anybody out there know anything about these 2003 Pro-x sleds? He would like to know the good and bad experiences that people have had before he buy's. I know that there is service bulletin S-03-06 about the ignition timing retarding at too low of a water temp. Can anyone shed some light on this for us? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
its not a bad bulliten, it basically says that they were a little to safe at the factory, and that the safety retard would come on to soon, no big deal, better than cracking a piston from detonation and then having them come out with a bulliton saying they wish they had it come on sooner.lol

for the most part if that is the type of sled that will fit his needs i havent heard to many bad things about the sleds.
plenty of aftermarket, most early bugs are out of the sled, go for it,

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply madcow.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I beleive that was the only bulletin last year on that sled, other than that they worked fine. Make sure he realizes that the ProX is a very stiffly sprung sled. If he is looking for a cadillac trail cruiser ride, this is not the sled. It rides great, but it is designed for aggressive riding, so it is sprung and valved on the stiff side.
I tried a lot of these ProX's last year and liked them so much that I bought one this year, but a few of the guys who had them last year were whining about how rough they were. The problem was that most of these whiners were "Seat Toads". They just rode with their feet in the wells, and their butts glued to the seat. This sled is meant to ride fairly hard.
Just wanted to give you a heads up so that he doesnt buy the sled expecting a Cadillac ride from a Ferrari.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up RXL CDN... He does like to bang throught the ditch pretty hard so I think he will love it. The trails here in Northern WI and UP MI are pretty beat to hell most of the year anyway so I think the stiffer suspension will work great for him.
One thing that we noticed. The rear suspension seemed to be really soft for the first few inches. I know that my xc700 is soft for the first few inches so it sags properly. But if this thing is sprung so stiff then why does it seem to have even a softer sag then my 02 700 xc? Any thoughts? Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts