Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to get a pro x and i wondering if they are reliable and any mods you can do.[/color=blue]

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
what engine size? I don't care much for the 440's, not enough power and I've heard too many reliability issues with them.
Mods are available plenty. Hope you plan on doing ditchbanging or very aggressive trail riding with the Pro-x, that's what it is built for.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
What year? It makes a difference...

The 03 and 04 liquid 440's need work to be reliable.
The 01 and 02 liquid 440's are great trail converted or as racers.
The 550 requires decent carb tuning skills because as a high strung fanner, it is tempermental with weather.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
the liquids are really nice and the fanners do not have enough power. There are many mods, studs, skiis, clutch, track, and alot more i would reccomed doint a clutch kit and re-jetting so that you can get all of the power. I would recommend usi sno cross skis i have them and they are nice. Then a good stud patter would be the legal racing pattern, and finally you can do some reinforcing and apperance mods like new windshield shorty seat and bar riser for comfort.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I would skip the clutch kit, they are clutched well from the factory. No reinforcing needed unless you are good enough to be on the x-games. Aftermarket ski's are good, as are studs. Tracks are usually pretty stout on the ex race sleds. "re-jetting" haha. I'd suggest jetting for every 20 degree temperature change. They must be jetted in the ballpark for the temp range. Too rich and it will be weak and possibly foul plugs. Too lean and pop goes your motor. Not like your polaris 600 where you can be 5 sizes too rich and it'll still run fine. The 440 will fall on its face if it is 3 sizes too rich. 04 comes with shorty seat stock, and high enough bars for everyone but stunt riders.

Here is the info on making your 04 440 last: http://www.akracing.com/ripperdcasemod.htm
I wasn't actually the one to make up the case mod, the guy I bought my sled from was very knowledgeable in them and helped me do the mod.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
DON'T get the 440 fan pro-x. piece of junk. pro-x 550 (only made in 2004) seems like a useless sled. Polaris put a lame duck motor into an awesome chassis; it simply doesn't have enough power for the type of rider who wants a pro-x.
Someone on here is selling an 04 prox 550 on craigslist in either eau claire or wausau wisconsin, can't remember

·
Registered
328 Posts
the chassis are awesome. i would never go with a 550 or 440. the 550's are useless as stated before and the 440's need alot of upkeep to be trail anle and reliable, they have awesome bottom end to about 75 than there done, they have short legs, my 600 is awesome and it will pull right with my dads built 800 pro x up to 92 mph but than he pulls me. i also got short gearing tho but i got all the power i need to blast thru the windy trails, in my opinion dont waste your time or money on a x under 600cc.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i know where there is a RMK 550 sitting on the roadside for $1500...... seat is tore and taped up with ducktape.
its of a major highway and its been there for atleast 3 years. the guy keeps moving it around....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts