Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After winter storage, I've taken my sled out and cleaned it up, but the darn thing just won't idle without giving it a shot of choke every 5 seconds.

I've ridden it hard for 15 minutes and the thing runs GREAT when I am on the throttle, or at least 1/4 throttle. The thing absolutely runs perfectly at normal speeds.

But let's say I am cruising along at 80 mph, and let off of the throttle completely for 3 seconds, and then hammer the throttle again, it will hesitate, like it was starving for fuel when I was off of the throttle.

If I come up to a complete stop, the sled will die (if I don't give it a shot of choke).

Here's what I've tried:

0. Replaced the gas in the tank with fresh stuff.
1. Cleaned the carbs.
2. Cleaned the carbs again paying special attention to the pilot jets.
2a. Removed and inspected the reeds.
3. Cleaned the carbs a third time, this time dismantling most of the carburators.
4. Changed the plugs.
5. Dismantled the fuel pump (looked good).
6. Tried another fuel pump.
7. Pulled the fuel hose out of the tank to check the filter.

I am stumpped.

I really belive it's something with the carburators, and it really seems like it's the pilot jet. But I'll be damned if I haven't cleaned the pilot jet 3 times just to be sure!

What should I try next? Is it bad fuel?

It runs perfect at normal throttle / speeds.

Does the needle position have anything to do with the idle? Or does idle rely completely on the pilot jet?

Note: The thing ran great when I put it away last spring. I had Sta-bil'd the 1 gal of gas I left in it, and refilled the tank completely with new gas this winter. The only thing I did different from any other year is that I used the Polaris "fogging oil" before storage, and I never started it once over the summer.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Are there any fuel lines that are drooping, maybe cutting of supply of fuel. Have you tried adjusting the idle screw.
Have you burned all of the fogging oil out of it?

Float sticking?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel lines drooping? Hmmm... Not sure what you mean, the lines are in the same place they were last year, and I've disconnected/reconnected my fuel lines quite a few times during my troubleshooting.

I tried the idle screw, and it doesn't seem to matter how "fast" it is idling, it still dies.

The floats were removed and cleaned when I cleaned my carbs, and I think they looked ok, but maybe it has something to do with the floats I guess...what can go wrong with them...what should I look for? Wouldn't a bad float also affect me at top end? Or not?

"Burned all of the fogging oil out of it." Now there's a phrase I've never heard, since I've never used fogging oil before. I'm a newbie to the stuff. What does it take to "burn all of the fogging oil out of it?" And is it typical to run like crap after having fogged it over the summer? How long should I have to ride it to burn it out?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
It usually depends on how much you used. I have seen large deposts in the crankcase.

I have also had the fuel lines get old and become soft which somewhat cuts off the fuel supply.

The floats could be cracked and not float like they should cousing too much fuel going into the engine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is off topic regarding the issues I'm having, but in your opinion, is "fogging" a snowmobile a dumb thing to do? Should I just start it every 3 weeks during the summer instead? Would I be better off in the fall that way?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by soltvedt
[br]This is off topic regarding the issues I'm having, but in your opinion, is "fogging" a snowmobile a dumb thing to do? Should I just start it every 3 weeks during the summer instead? Would I be better off in the fall that way?
I don't fog mine but I do dump mineral oil down the plug hole and turn it over. I know it is the "old" way of doing things but it works.

I don't beleive your fogging did it it has to be something else.

Did you remove the pilot jet and make sure it is clean. A little speck of grung could be doing this. Is there something on the needle??

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I removed and cleaned the pilot jet 3 times...but I agree with you that it seems to be the pilot jets. That's the way it acts anyway.

I also removed the needles and cleaned them. (I took apart most of the carbs...any copper I could unscrew when cleaning.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as the mixture screws go, I guess I have not extensively cranked on them. That is one thing I was going to try again. I did try turning them one turn in and one turn out, but that didn't change anything.

But you're right, I should try the screws again.

·
Registered
985 Posts
intake or crank seal, if it will idle with choke on do that then spray starting fluid on crank seals and intakes, make sure you spray inside the recoil housing also. if it revs up you need to fix the leak.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by [email protected]
[br]Are you sure you are cleaning the pilot and not the main jet?

Intake leak?
Yes, I'm sure it's the pilot jet that I cleaned 3 times. But thanks for the tip. Just in case for some reason didn't know which one it was, I dismantled the entire carb assembly and cleaned it. But yes, I know which one the pilot jet is.

Now the intake leak is another thing. I did remove the intake boots and reeds when I inspected the reeds. I didn't notice any rips or leaks then.

I didn't however inspect the crank seals.

I'll try the starting fluid trick mentioned and see what I find. Is it ok to spray starting fluid into my recoil assembly?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried the crank seal test with the starting fluid and it didnt seem to do anything different.

HOWEVER, I decided to take it for a ride tonight over to my buddies place. EVEN THOUGH I HAD ALREADY TAKEN IT ON A 15 MILE RIDE EARLIER IN THE WEEK WITH NO CHANGE IN SYMPTOMS.

So I fought with keeping it idling to warm it up (choking on an off), and then took off on the ride. For the first 3 miles it acted the same...dying when I let off of the throttle.

THEN, when I got to my destination 5 miles from home...it was idline fine!!!

So...it must have just been filled with too much of that damn fogging oil.

I'll never use it again. What a pain. I'd rather start in every 3-4 weeks in the summer rather than go through this again.

Thanks for the tips guys. Im just glad its running.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Only issue with starting it every few weeks is getting it hot enough to burn off all moisture.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agreed. I usually run them for 5-10 minutes in the summer when starting them up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts