Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so guys, i always wanted my own sled so 2 weeks ago i bought a 86 polaris 440ss for cheap. the guy said it had no problems. it has low miles and good seat, track and skis. it ran great for a week then wouldnt start and then the pull cord snapped. so i brought it to a shop near my house to get looked at. he fixed the cord and said the nipple of the gas tank to the fuel line is cracked and is leaking gas. also the main jet of the carb is cracked and leaking gas. it floods itself out and is a bitch to start then. it takes 10 pulls while holding in the throttle all the way with the choke off. so im wondering what i should do??? try to get it repaired, but i dont know how to do it myself and dont know what it would cost, keep like it is, or should i junk the sled and look for a better one??
ANY IDEAS YOU HAVE WILL HELP ALOT.

THANKS MIKE

·
Registered
276 Posts
Might want to pull the tank and see the extent of the "nipple crack", possibly repairable or maybe you'll have to search for a tank. Remember this sled is 24 years old and parts are going to be worn out and on top of that hard to find replacements. The main jet of the carb is essentially a simple fix, find a new main jet in the same size and replace. Whatever you do, don't put too much money into it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
^^

Agree with Scorch.

These are fairly easy fixes, even for a newbie.

Seat and tank removal shouldn't be a problem. When it's off, you should check the pick-up line inside the tank as well (crud, grime, rot, etc.)

Maybe have the shop handle the carbs if you're nervous. That's the one of your problems that could lead to other, much bigger probs if not put back together right.

Just take your time. Lots of great people around here that will lend advise.

Jonesy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts