Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

i brought my phazer, srx, and xcr up to my cousins place to get the before season check-up and to get the carbs all cleaned up.

well i brought the all the sleds back home after hooking the trailer home. well i went to start the phaxer and i pulled the pull cord and ouch, the cord was not moving at all. so i tried the electruc start and nothing spun at all. to i turned the heat on high in the shop and left to sleep. i ask my buddy to go back in the morning and there was a lot of water in the motor, that he had to pull the motor for 10 mins to get all the water out. he said the water was all over the ceiling and stuff. so it ran fine after that. so thin morning my buddy borrowed my sled and header to collingwood anout 3 hours from me today. he just called about an hour ago and said the motor is seized up like it was before. the sled was in the shop all night till about 9:00 am when he left.

now i am asking for some help on this. i will see what if there is more water in the engine when he gets back. so please give me some answers of help, anyone get the same thing?

thanks, nik

anyone know what the problem might be.

·
Registered
457 Posts
So does it run? If it does I'd run the piss out of it, check the injector oil and all the hoses also.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
This isnt really something you can diagnose without some more information.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ok there not a lot to work with. i had the same problem basicly what i did was emptyed out my gas tank my oil tank and blew air in all my lines. thro all the gas and oil out and put new stuff. the stuff that was in there was probly mixed with water or some type of coolant. if u have a rad check for leaks. and try to keep the snow or water out of the air box might help u out a bit. it helped me out alot i had water in my airbox and i dunno how it got in but it was there. make shure there is not to much moisture in ur engine area. how this might of helped u.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by phazerBILL
[br]So does it run? If it does I'd run the piss out of it, check the injector oil and all the hoses also.
yes it runs but only inside after a night or heat on.

more info i pretty much gave you all the info i have, the motor doesn't spin after being in the cold for a while. i brought the sled in side and after night of heat the sled's motor was full of water and after pulling it for 10 mins to get all the water out it started and ran.

so i unno wtf the problem is, i will empty the tanks out and check the air box. the sled sat out sided for a couple weeks before i picked them up with a cover on. but the cover was riped and the snow might have got on the hood where the air box is and when the snow melted (because it got warm here) maybe it fell in the airbox then into the engine, but i unno i will check.

any more help i would appreciate

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by johnny1011
[br]ok there not a lot to work with. i had the same problem basicly what i did was emptyed out my gas tank my oil tank and blew air in all my lines. thro all the gas and oil out and put new stuff. the stuff that was in there was probly mixed with water or some type of coolant. if u have a rad check for leaks. and try to keep the snow or water out of the air box might help u out a bit. it helped me out alot i had water in my airbox and i dunno how it got in but it was there. make shure there is not to much moisture in ur engine area. how this might of helped u.
plz tell me more about what happened to you "bassically"?

thanks

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is really getting to me becuase i have almost 11,000 miles on my sled and have NEVER ever had a problem since i bought it 1999 years ago, and i still have 125 psi in both cyl. on a stock motor

·
Registered
46 Posts
well when i got my old cunker 79 snowmobile it was in the cold for 10 years with a cover on it and when i try to start it water came out of my exaust pipe i new it was flooded i asked the guy i got it from to tell me the problem and he told me empty all lines and tanks then get something to hang your snowmobile upside down and let everything run out dry .i told him ill drain everything whitch i did and put new stuff in for the water in my engine i had to snifin out the water in both pistons .it took a while but it was all out i pull the cord again and again makin shur i didnt start it but get gas in the engine so it dosent sieze up. basiclly try to keep ur ride inside if posible and cover up the engine area if posible thry not to let mositure build up around ur engine. after the fisrt sieze up in never happened again to me. in another words im stumped ur having that problem i thought only older models like mine has that proble srry if i wasnt to much help. but i unno anything else ...... srry for all this writing

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, thanks man i will check the air box, gas tank, oil resevior, i will do it all and hopefully let the sled sit in the shop.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
How do you KNOW the engine was full of water? Could it be that perhaps either your carb floats stuck open and it just filled your engine with fuel?
It just seems like too much of a coincidence that it would fill up with "water" twice like that.
I could see it doing it the first time if you have some condensation or water that got in your fuel tank, but twice??? I dunno about that.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Octane
[br]How do you KNOW the engine was full of water? Could it be that perhaps either your carb floats stuck open and it just filled your engine with fuel?
It just seems like too much of a coincidence that it would fill up with "water" twice like that.
I could see it doing it the first time if you have some condensation or water that got in your fuel tank, but twice??? I dunno about that.
yeah thats what throughs me off, twice. my buddy is coming home tonight at aroung 4:00 so i will check to see if there is water in there again. but fuel it wasn't cold enough for fuel to freeze. i unno i will go throught it and update when i hopefgully find the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depending on how long the water was in the engine you could be looking at some serious problems. If the crank bearings have rusted they could grenade on you in the near future. I would pull the engine and split the crankcase to check things out or it could get real expensive for you.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
It would take alot of water to sieze it up like that.

Is it water or antifreeze?

If it's clear, how positive are you its water and not gas.

If you do indeed find out it's gas (which is what I am thinking), then after running it next time shut off fuel. See if that helps. If it does, there could be 2 more causes.

One more question - How are you getting the water out?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Blackcat
[br]It would take alot of water to sieze it up like that.

Is it water or antifreeze?

If it's clear, how positive are you its water and not gas.

If you do indeed find out it's gas (which is what I am thinking), then after running it next time shut off fuel. See if that helps. If it does, there could be 2 more causes.

One more question - How are you getting the water out?
well my buddy told my it was water, i dont think it could be gas, beacuse he would have said it smelled like gas. it cant be antifreeze because its a fan cooled. and i unno how i am going to get the water out, i will pump to see what i can get out but i will cheack all the tanks and empty them all, i will also check the air box, maybe some rain or snow got in the air box through the vents on the top if the hood.

i just would hate to have to take the engine apart beasauce i am planning to go sledding next weekend or the week end after that, i am just going to leave it in the shop and do all the above things and hopefully a miracle happens

any othere ideas?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Just pull the plugs and pull the rope. The "water" will come shooting out. Then you personally will know what kind of liquid it is.

I highly doubt water. There is no way water could get into a fan cooled motor unless someone was pouring it into the cylinders.

Here is what I am thinking. Fuel is leaking into the motor causing it to lock up.

Possible causes -

1. There was a mistake during the cleaning of the carbs allowing fuel to flow by.

2. It's just normal seepage which is common, however usually it doesn't lock them up that frequently.

Temporary Solution -

Turn off the fuel shut off valve after running it. See if that helps.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[br]Just pull the plugs and pull the rope. The "water" will come shooting out. Then you personally will know what kind of liquid it is.

I highly doubt water. There is no way water could get into a fan cooled motor unless someone was pouring it into the cylinders.

Here is what I am thinking. Fuel is leaking into the motor causing it to lock up.

Possible causes -

1. There was a mistake during the cleaning of the carbs allowing fuel to flow by.

2. It's just normal seepage which is common, however usually it doesn't lock them up that frequently.

Temporary Solution -

Turn off the fuel shut off valve after running it. See if that helps.
thats what is bnothering me how the f does water get in , i unno when my buddy gets back i will go check it out and maybe it is gas, who knows. but what does gas freeze at? i am pretty sure the carbs were done and maybe they screwed up some how.

thanks a lot man

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I've never heard a temperature gas freezes at. However, I do know that if it's cold enough to freeze gas you wouldn't even think about going outside.

I know for a fact that at -40 F gas is still fine. The only thing that freezes would be the water in the gas.

This would still not cause it to lock up. What's happing in the motor is vapor lock. The pressure is to great for you to move the pistons.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well blackcat that make more sence then water, i think i am going to check out the carbs. umm... do you know if there is a plug or sumthing that i can let loose in the crank on the block?

thanks man

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I'm pretty sure there isn't a plug, but I'm not familiar with that motor in anyway.

If there was a plug why would you want to remove it? If it was to relieve the pressure, you can pull the spark plugs and pull the cord.

I would do that first to see what kind of liquid it is, if it's water then I'm at a complete loss.

If it's gas, I would just turn off the shut off valve and see if that helps.

Check to see if gas is coming out of the carb overflows while your at it.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[br]I'm pretty sure there isn't a plug, but I'm not familiar with that motor in anyway.

If there was a plug why would you want to remove it? If it was to relieve the pressure, you can pull the spark plugs and pull the cord.
I would do that first to see what kind of liquid it is, if it's water then I'm at a complete loss.

If it's gas, I would just turn off the shut off valve and see if that helps.

Check to see if gas is coming out of the carb overflows while your at it.
see i did take the plugs out and i still couldn't pull the cord i really pulled it too, it wouldn't budge

1 - 20 of 33 Posts