Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone. i got myself a 03 sno pro a few days ago which was supposed to be in mint condition. when i opened the hood and took a closer look in, i saw that one carburetor was all covered in oil, but the other one was really nice and clean. also when i took a test ride with it yesterday afternoon, it performed really nicely the first half an hour about. but when i got a few runs of it up to close 50 miles and hour, it suddenly just died with a wheezing sound. i was shocked, so i pulled at the rope again to get it started, which it did after a few pulls. i slowly drove toward home and after about 200-300 meters, it died again with the same sound. i got really frustrated, cause it should actually be in mint condition and my other snowmobile which i had before this one, never did anything like that. so i tried to start it again, but i couldnt even pull the rope. it was just stuck somehow. after a minute or so, i tried again and suddenly i could pull the rope again and it started again. then i slowly got all the way home. sorry about this long text but im really frustrated[confused2] and i have no idea whats going on. plaese help i would really appreciate it. thanks so much

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Sounds like you stuck a piston. pull the head and check it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh ok. but how will i see if its a stuck piston? sorry i dont have much experience with fixing snowmobiles.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
aluminum on the cylinder wall, scored cylinder wall. You could also pull the exhaust and see if the piston is scored. same with the carb, pull the reed block also.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I agree with xcr 440 sounds like you leaned it out and squeaked it. You should be able to see if there is any aluminum on the head or if there are any melted spots in the piston. If you are lucky you didn't hurt the jug, but will have to put at least one new piston in the sled, but if you are putting one in you might as well put both in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright thanks i will try and see what i can do. im tired of bringing it away for repair wanna learn how to do it myself

oh would you maybe know what pistons i need for that sled and how much they cost?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Ok since your not used to working on sleds I'd male sure you have the following:
a good set of 3/8 drive metric deep well sockets and a good wrench
a torque wrench 3/8 drive(a nicer one just makes it easier)
a shop manual(if you can get one)
be ready to spend between 200-800 on jugs/pistons/seals
a compression checker
a pair of needle nose pliers
and past but not least an extra pair of hands

Depending on how badly damaged the engine is you might want to consider dropping a trail motor in from an f5/6/7.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The very first thing I would do is call the guy you bought it from and tell him what the heck just happened to his "mint sled" that he just sold you. Then if you decide to keep it still, like they said take the head off and pull it over a few times and check for shavings appearing on the piston or cylinder walls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sledneck777 said:
The very first thing I would do is call the guy you bought it from and tell him what the heck just happened to his "mint sled" that he just sold you. Then if you decide to keep it still, like they said take the head off and pull it over a few times and check for shavings appearing on the piston or cylinder walls.
i called that guy today and he said that there cant be anything wrong with the pistons cause apparently its a brand spankin new engine in there. He said it could be because the jetting isnt set right or something with the belt. What do you guys think of that?

·
Registered
308 Posts
The only time i have ever had a recoil lock up when it was running and not release until it cooled down was when I seized the motor in my dirtbike, and thats exactly what it was, had to put new piston, rings, and jug on it. Doesn't sound like a jetting issue to me in anyway... You do know you have to pre mix the fuel in race sleds like that right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
If your going to do it yourself, search the internet for repair manuals for your sled. There are a ton of them out there and they address the tear down and rebuild of all the major components. Its a great way to save money thats for sure, I found that out recently and working on your sled is a great way of knowing what is going on under the hood. Good luck man

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
bentoews said:
sledneck777 said:
i called that guy today and he said that there cant be anything wrong with the pistons cause apparently its a brand spankin new engine in there. He said it could be because the jetting isnt set right or something with the belt. What do you guys think of that?

My first advice for you is if you're looking for a pull and go sled you bought the wrong sled. It sounds like a jetting issue, but that jetting issue became more serious when you leaned the sled down and burned it down. It doesn't sound like it was any fault of the previous owner, but your fault if the sled wasn't jetted properly for the temps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
flatlander_summit said:
bentoews said:
sledneck777 said:

My first advice for you is if you're looking for a pull and go sled you bought the wrong sled. It sounds like a jetting issue, but that jetting issue became more serious when you leaned the sled down and burned it down. It doesn't sound like it was any fault of the previous owner, but your fault if the sled wasn't jetted properly for the temps.
alright. does anyone know any websites for downloading manuals? can you download them for free or do you have to pay?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts