Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 ZRT 800 i just bought recently. It starts ok and i took it out to ride for the first time. It was working well until about 20 mins later when it seemed that it was going to shut off. When i would try to accelerate, i had it full throttle and it wouldn't move past 5000 rpm. I had some 87 octane gasoline along with some Stabil in the tank from before. I am thinking that it is the gasoline. but i'm really not sure. and also if i attempt to start it again, it is a real pain in the butt. It almost seems like i have to wait for it to cool down. which is weird because i know it is liquid cooled. I even noticed a rubber burning kind of smell which was also weird. Any suggestions, would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
could be the belt if your smelling burning rubber. other then that i would put fresh higher octane gas in it. If i remember correctly i believe those sleds are supposed to run a minimum of 91 octane

·
Registered
129 Posts
It could be your stator starting to burn up. Thats maybe why its hard to start warm and needs to cool down. As it heats up you get less and less spark. You'll know for sure one of these times if it stalls and you have no spark at all. For your sake hope i'm wrong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry to tell ya, but it sounds to me that you dropped a cylinder. Due to the old gas you probably had a big detonation problem. Pull the spark plugs and look at there color and the top of the pistons for damage.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
also would check for water in the gas ,if you dont use isoheat in the red bottle water build up and those zrts are very temper mental with water

1 - 6 of 6 Posts