Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmmm well today when I was riding, everything was going fine all day then suddenley when im riding my motor just shuts off and i roll to a stop kinda like a hit the kill switch. So I start it up again and it was hard to pull over, took about 8 trys atleast. Then we finally get it going, and then about 20 seconds later, it dies and rolls to a stop, then when I was trying to pull it over lightly, everything was seized up, so we towed it back. Then later on the trailer, it wasnt seized up anymore, so we started it up after a couple pulls and it was running fine on the trailer. Does anyone have any ideas of what could of happened or what the problem may be?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
im not a poo person but i'd say check your jetting the race sleds are very picky on temp ranges.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]iam going with you melted a piston.
Yup, I have to agree with Proxj and thats what usually happens when the motor siezes up.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
A burnt down piston would make sense. Tear off the head and you will learn all you need to know. That's what happens when you buy a race sled though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i had the same problem with my 03 ProX 440 thats why i sold it, I bought it rode a 100 miles and melted her down doin 40 across the lake I had it rebuilt and took it out and had probably ten miles on it and it locked up again but this time it started again. So there is two things that could've happened to your sled A. you burnt it down and its got just enough compresion to still run. or B. your mixture is off and its getting to much gas and it's hydro locking its self then once all the gas seeps down around the rings into the crank it'll start again hope this helps. JD

·
Registered
625 Posts
They are pre-mix,unless it was changed to injection.Race sleds are fine for trail use but you have to jet fatter.Trail riding you can hold throttle open on long straits and since your riding for hours at a time the sled is already warm.Racing only lasts a few min. and the throttle is only wide open for 3-4 seconds at a time.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pistons seized, so I need a piston kit and hopefully we will be able to get the cylinders rehoned rather than buying new ones.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
If it was me i would get on ebay or these other sled sites and find a used 600 or 500 xc. Or id go to oakbank indy.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]If it was me i would get on ebay or these other sled sites and find a used 600 or 500 xc. Or id go to oakbank indy.
Ill keep that in mind. How much do you think I could get one of those motors for used?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
If you go to oakbank indy it will be more then ebay but if you buy from him and you have a problem more then likely he will help you out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Originally posted by 01polarisprox
[br]The pistons seized, so I need a piston kit and hopefully we will be able to get the cylinders rehoned rather than buying new ones.
That sucks. I hope you get back on the snow soon. Hmmmmmmmm, wish I had snow so I could break stuff!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey 01polarisprox I did the same thing to mine last year and got it rebuilt, except mine was worse they rebuilt everything topend and the bottom. I have to break mine in yet this year when we get snow, the pto side cyclinder burnt a hole through the top of the piston. But if it goes again this year which I dont think it will I will be converting my fan to a liquid, I know it will be a lot of money and work but it will be a sleeper. It sucks that it happened but just like what xtralettusetomatoe580 and sickler said "it is a race motor", so that is bound to happen. Hope you get it fixed and can ride still this year.

Steve

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by sickler
[br]Those cylinders are nickle.You can get them re-nickled if they are too scratched up.Dont have to buy new ones.
Well my dad took the cylinders to a dealer, and they said that only one of them can be fixxed. So theyre fixxing one and we bought a new one for $300 and are currently looking for a good priced piston kit.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Yup, either melted a piston, or siezed a crank bearing.

If you don't know how to change a main jet and what it does you really shouldn't be riding a 440.

On top of that, WHY on earth would you try to start and ride it away after it siezed? Doing that probably costed you $300. Usually when they squeak if you catch it quick enough you can just tear it down and hone it out and replace the piston for a total of about $150 per dead piston.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
What jets were you running and what temp. Also it was stated above did you pre-mix, the 01 prox had oil injection so check your oil pump as well.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Originally posted by ripperd
[br]Yup, either melted a piston, or siezed a crank bearing.

If you don't know how to change a main jet and what it does you really shouldn't be riding a 440.

On top of that, WHY on earth would you try to start and ride it away after it siezed? Doing that probably costed you $300. Usually when they squeak if you catch it quick enough you can just tear it down and hone it out and replace the piston for a total of about $150 per dead piston.
so true, unless your in a situation were u have to ride it never ride it. i squek a fan motor lst year i could of cared less i rode it home, it was getting bored 2 over and rebuilt anyways.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The jets were good for -12 to 0 and it was -9 outside.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts