Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost finished with my top end rebuild on my 98 polaris lite deluxe and it is my first time doing one so I have a few question on starting it up after a rebuild.

I know all the basic stuff like pre-mixing the gas and priming the oil pump, but what about the carb?

I cleaned out both my fuel pump and carb so im assuming ill have to sit there and pull it a bunch of times with ignition turned off to get the pump going and fuel into the carbs...about how many pulls would this take and is it bad to keep on pulling the engine when it has a new top end?

Also what position should I have my airscrew when i first start it? Im assuming all the way in, or rich right? Or would this make it to rich?

And since I have an electric start is it a bad idea to use it for the first start? Should I stick with the old fashion way?

Anything else I am missing? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Don't you have a service manual you are going by?

Did you lube everything up really well with Engine Assembly Lube?

You need to have that airscrew adjusted properly. Use the electric start, and keep the fuel on, don't turn it off, who told you that?

Bleed the oil, set your carbs, fill'er up and turn'er on. And check the timing once it is running.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I would put some fresh premix down the plug holes (works like a primer) other wise will wind up with a strained back

·
Registered
48 Posts
yes on all of it mark the oil tank with a marker or a piese of tape to make sure that the oil is being used at a good rate

·
Registered
282 Posts
I used to clean out atleast 1 line from the oil pump to the motor,so you can see the oil leaving the pump,suck the fuel into the fuel pump at the carb and pour a bit of fuel down the cyclinder,make sure you use some pre mix in the tank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts