Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellow Sled Heads,

I have been thinking about summer projects and here are some options, give me all of your thoughts:

1) '98 XCR 440 that is in really nice shape. I love the wedge chassis and the CRC front end, but I am not sure of that motor. I believe it is the small block USA built VES twin, but I assume that it might be peaky and unreliable since it is a factory race engine. Would it be possible to resleeve the cylinders and update that motor to either the newer 500 or 600 VES motors? What about ignition and stuff like that?? Another option, would a FUJI triple fit into that chassis, like the Ultra or XCR 800 VES motor??

2) '96 Ultra Sp... I know that it is a pig with the stock single pipe, but what about putting a set of triple pipes on her? It does not have the newer suspensions, but this sled is probably more of a lake racer anyways. How is it with the pipes, and is it a fuel hog with all that 150hp??

3) '02 Pro X.... Any idea if it would be possible to come up with the lightweight snocross chassis, perhaps without the race motor?? I bet that would make a great project sled, if I could come up with one of the new USA twins. Imagine, 140hp with about 435 lbs, and race handling....

Thanks for all your input, its about time to polish up the sleds and dream for next year...

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
About the '98 XCR 440 SP, well, that's what I have, I have 3800 miles on the 440 engine and no problems to date. Still pumping 140psi compression on each cylinder, winds out at 100 MPH on a lake, only thing is I always run premium fuel.

I do believe you could put 500 or 600 cylinders right onto the 440's bottom end, although the crank may need some work if you were to do that. If you can get a US Built twin, it would bolt right into that chassis. The Fuji Triples would fit, but you'd have to modify the motor mounts.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I also have about 3000 miles on that same engine/sled, and it's still pulling strong. For me, it has proved very reliable for being a factory race engine. 600 VES would be great in it, i wouldn't bother putting in a 500 unless that's what you want. I know somebody who put a 700 twin in the '98 440 chassis and it fit perfectly. I wish i could afford to do projects like that. Sounds like fun!

/snofans/../images/users/megaman/2xcr440avatar.jpg
My '98 XCR 440

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a 97 Ultra w/ pipes!! Awesome sled. Starts 1st or 2nd pull, hauls ass everywhere. Put a Fox position sensitive shock in the rear, plastic ski's up front and it'll fly through the trails all day, feels like a really light sled w/ the 150 hp. Have fun!

Runner

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Titan01:

3) '02 Pro X.... Any idea if it would be possible to come up with the lightweight snocross chassis, perhaps without the race motor??

[/quote]

This last weekend I was at a ice race in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, and this guy was racing a 02' Pro X with a 800 XC VES motor in it. I didn't ask any details about how he did it, but damn that sled ripped.. So to answer your question about the Pro X, yes sir it is possible!!!!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot guys for all the help and advice.

Runner, is that Ultra really thirsty on fuel with all that HP? Can you get over 100 miles on a tank of fuel? I totally agree with you on the PPS shock, I did that to 2 XTRA10 suspesions and it works great.

P-Man and Mega-Man, does that XCR 440 have similar chassis feel like the '98 XC600 or 700? Or is it really stiff like the new PRO-X? Also, does that 440 engine have good torque to it?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Titan, i haven't riden a Pro-X, but i'm sure it is stiffer than the XCR. New chassis' keep getting stronger and more rigid, which is a very good thing. The feel of the XCR is very very similar to the 98' XC 6 & 7, except: the racer style seat allows you to sit a bit lower, perhaps to lower the center of gravity. The rear shocks are Fox not the RydeFX, so you may notice a difference in big bumps, and also the 440 is a bit lighter in weight. I think there are other things too. Torque?...Nothing like a 700 can put out, but i must say that the VES in the 440 helps alot. It's a very snappy engine, which i like, so i will say that it has fairly good torque for being so small. Of course this is more of an issue of where bigger displacement is king of torque.

Ride happy!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Titan, I get 100 miles and I'm looking for fuel. The way I have been riding the last couple of years (very little), I haven't been out longer than 100 miles at a time. I put gas in it, when I get the chance. Do you already have an Ultra?
Runner

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
check with hot seat they can make plates for engine swaps so the clutchs line up pretty close that save a lot of time. the ultra with pipes was nice just check you piston wash a lot after you rejet start out fat and lean up.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts