Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you properly break in a rebuilt motor. do you have to mix the fuel or is there more things that should be done. im getting my sled back in a week so i want to know how to break in it right.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
your gonna get 101 different opinions on this. so heres mine. do not mix oil into gas. this only riches too much and can possibly get a build up in the ring groove. just vary the throttle. do not run at a constant rpm for prolong periods. but break it in like youre gonna ride it. and dont hesitate to mash the throttle. in my opinion if its gonna break, its gonne break. obviously let it come up to normal engine temp before taking it out. but dont baby it.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
on the first tank you run mixed gas for safety. in helps the motor break in, it also helps in case there is an air pocket in the oil system. always give it plenty of warm up time and for the first 1/2 mile take it easy. once the motor is warm then run it normal. always check the plugs every so often to make sure things are ok.

·
Registered
244 Posts
well i wouldnt put oil in the gas when u add extra oil to the gas you are leaning the carb jetting. this can make the engine run hotter and sieze. thats what i heard

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I run the first tank pre-mixed. Run the tank as empty as you can before you add more gas. Extra oil isnt going to hurt anything. Avoid long WOT runs. Short bursts of full throttle are ok on hardpack. People say that you should run it hard for one reason or another. The biggest reason i hear of for people doing this is to help ring seating, or reduce blowby. Well I'm here to say my pistons show no signs of blowby and i've got well over 2000 miles on the engine. Take it easy so you dont break things on the first tank of gas and then run usual after that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
hey well i just got my motor back too so im following the things that were said but how long do i exactly have to do these things until i get to ride it ride it like when its fully broke in

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
According to my Polaris owners's manual, the first 5 gallons (1/2 tank), is mixed 40:1. This is run during the break-in period. After these check the oil level in the reservoir to make sure it is falling, and for the first four hours of operation, vary the throttle, and keep it under 60 mph.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just took my sled out for a ride and the rpm's are going to 6000 when im just going slow down the road and then after a bit the rpm's will drop down. has this ever happened to some one after they rebuilt there engine or is this normal.thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
it think thats just the powerband when your riding at a lower speed it didnt kick in yet so when u give it more gas its kinda like gears i guess

·
Registered
48 Posts
i bought a new polaris twin in 02, the dealer told me to ride it like i stole it. so i did....its been one of the best engines iv owned 3 years later

·
Registered
20 Posts
As OCEANCOWBOY said ,Ride it like you stole it !!! Don't mix gas and don't be scared to open it wide for short bursts. This helps seat the rings properly all the way around the cylinder walls....keep an eye on heat gauge or light and when you shut down the machine listen for bubbling noise from engine area,if there is ,may have air trapped in cooling system.....Bleed as recommended !!!

Seppi[8D][8D]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts