Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i just bought a 1991 500 polairs snowpro and the last owner put racing pipes on it but didn't jet it. it still has the factory 280 jets which i think they are factory. And now i need to know what to jet it for these racing pipes before i can drive it . And how much more power are pipes suppose to give you ? Also how fast would this sled go in mp/h just wondering? If anyone clould answer any of these questions it would help me out alot.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Try going up 1 or 2 sizes from stock jets, then read plugs and wash. Did the previous owner clutch it? Pipes usually mean higher revs are needed, and sometimes you need to change clutch weights to get there. Find out from the pipe manufacturer what RPM you should be operating at.

Flange

·
Registered
506 Posts
280 seems fairly large for a 500, I would just put it on the stand, rev her up, read the plugs (yer lookin for a golden brownish colour, or darker, darker is safer) is she passes this without showin signs of being to lean. run her for about an 1/8 mile, and check again, she passes that, take her again, this time wide open. and check, if she passes the 3rd time, you should be safe.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Wheelman:

Also how fast would this sled go in mp/h just wondering?

[/quote]

I had my old 1990 Indy 500 up to around 90-95 mph on the lake. It was stock. Not fast, but not slow either.

1991 polaris 500 snowpro? Is this true? I figured i would have known about this model.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Contact the maker of the pipes they usually have setting that will get you in the ballpark. Generally you will need to jet up with aftermarket exaust. but most sleds come from the factory a little on the rich side. They do this to prevent engines from blowing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a pair of PSI pipes on my 1992 indy 650. i always run it more rich than my other sleds because if it is to lean it will blow. i have a 280 main jet. something else to put into factor is that you will go through alot more plugs. the high proformence just mows through the plugs at least on my sled

hope i could help

·
Registered
637 Posts
Indy 650,

I run 310 mains in my 650 w/ pipes haven't fouled a plug yet.. that's with temps all across the board too.. 1000+ miles..

Wheelman,

Like everyone said you are looking for that magic brown color.. If you have it right you shouldn't go through plugs.. I usually start rich and come down..

Changing the pipes will give you power, but they are probably designed to run a higher rpm so you will most likely need to do some clutching and/or gearing as well as jetting..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts