Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a sled (800cc) that is a stock 121". I can get a 136" conversion kit with it if I want. Never really thought about a 136" conversion, but tonight a buddy was saying I should consider it. What are the pro's and cons of a 136" Any problems with a conversion kit vs. a stock 136" sled?

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I LOVE MINE its the best desion so far on the sled. it handles the same hooks up better pulls harder and goes through depper snow good. highly recomend tracks usa kits.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
When I test drive my bro's SKS I think its more comfortable and better traction in most conditions.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Honestly i think the only disadvantage would be the sled dosent turn as easy because its longer. With a 136" this will be minimal. The rails MAY also be easier to break since they are longer but that would be more of a design issue than anything. Personally i have thought about converting my 121" but we dont get enough snow here to justify it. In the end i think you will find only major advantages and minimal disadvantages, especially when in deeper snow.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
JUST DO IT! 136" is MUCH better all around IMO. 121" sleds will be dead before long IMO.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Main thing seems to be that it will make the sled more stable. That said, I don't have any major miles on a 136 inch track. I only put a few hundred on the Pro-XR last year as a 136. This year will be the first time I put some major miles on anything longer than a 121 since the XLT days with the 133 way back when. I rode 30 miles yesterday, you don't even notice the extra track, although the sled hooks up to beat hell and I believe the extra track on the ground helps. The longer track is favorable to the conditions we usually find in my area. Either way, it's a good upgrade and I don't ever hear of guys going from the longer 136 back down to a 121 again after using one for a season.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I took my 89 Exciter and stuffed a 96 Vmax suspension & a 1.5in x 136 in it. Had to change drivers for clearance. It was a ton of work but what a difference. I'm doing the 91 next summer. Feels like a totally different machine. Do it, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Originally posted by erick
[br]Main thing seems to be that it will make the sled more stable. That said, I don't have any major miles on a 136 inch track. I only put a few hundred on the Pro-XR last year as a 136. This year will be the first time I put some major miles on anything longer than a 121 since the XLT days with the 133 way back when. I rode 30 miles yesterday, you don't even notice the extra track, although the sled hooks up to beat hell and I believe the extra track on the ground helps. The longer track is favorable to the conditions we usually find in my area. Either way, it's a good upgrade and I don't ever hear of guys going from the longer 136 back down to a 121 again after using one for a season.
well erick you didin't leave much for the rest fo us to say. lol do it with an 800 you'd have one hell of a ditch banger

·
Registered
135 Posts
I never really thought about it either, but I think in a few years I might because...well...just cuz. It's yet to be seen.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You'll love it! I started at 136" and I'm at 151" now and i'm stoppin there you'll like the hook up it gives you and the stability and the smoother ride over little whoops in the snow

·
Registered
864 Posts
Take the kit...
I went down this path seeking traction. The lil extra makes a big differance, hole shots are fun.Expect 5-10 off the top end but worth it. Feels more balanced all around.
You will get a bit more push, and can get it out with some dialing a bit more carbide. More confiance in the fluff, slush etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
get the 136 i have one and my sled is a 440 trail and takes off better than my friends 600 because of the track.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
With a 136" you get better straightline traction, less darting and a smoother ride (the longer track bridges the small stutter bumps). All you are really giving up is some tight turning ability.
IMO, the things you gain by going to a 136" far outweigh the things you give up.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
What about going from a 128 to a 144 on my sled? They dont make a 136 kit! Actually its very hard to find any kit to extend a snopro or firecat. A.C. used to make one but they stopped last year and dont have any left but there is one on ebay right now?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I'm pretty sure somebody still makes 144" kits for the Firecat and Sno Pro 13.5" wide tracks. Maybe look at Bikeman, D&D, SpeedWerx, and the other big AC aftermarket companies. Problem is, on the 13.5" wide AC's, even with a 144", they still have a smaller footprint than a 136"x15".

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Ive tried all those places but no one has the kit anymore, tracks are still available from 144x1.25-2inches they also made a 151 kit,but cant find that either. Anyone know how one of these kits will handle the trails,

·
Registered
50 Posts
www.tracksusa.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts