Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at getting a prox 440. The years I have been looking at are 2001 and 2002. After contacting my dealer they say the low compression head kit is only available from 2002-04. What are people using to convert the 2001 to use 92 instead of 110? From the research I have done and talking to people the chassic are close to the same. Which sled would be a better chose for ditch banging/jumping and a little trail riding? I already know that I will be needing to rejet when temp are changing on both sleds. Which is a better sled and why? I have 2002 xcsp 600 for trail riding that I plan to put a 136 on over the summer but looking for a sled to jump/ditch bang and a little trail riding.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i like the pro xr 440's the most, but that only because of the looks, not sure about reliability or anything..

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
04 pro xr is the best. I think the 01 ran pump gas stock

my old 02 440 did just fine in the ditchs

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
crdude said:
04 pro xr is the best. I think the 01 ran pump gas stock[/color=red]

my old 02 440 did just fine in the ditchs

yep, i would guess the 04 pro xr's are the best because the way the steering column is setup. They are all good though.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
If you put the key in the 01's they had a 92 and 110 position, the 110 position having more timing but that is about it.

The 02 is different colors than the 01.

The 02 you have to get a pump gas head for, and then put in the ignition switch and switch it to the 92 position. I had mine zip tied under the hood in this position when I had my 02.

As for trailability they both will be about the same once converted. One trick to do for better midrange on the trail is to get rid of the exhaust valve solenoid setup and switch it to a more standard setup. Otherwise the sled will feel funny around 7000 rpm.

They certainly are fun sleds though! I liked my 04 the best but you couldn't put a big tank on it due to the steering post setup. But that same steering post setup is what made it good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided I want to get a 01 or 02 and the two sled I'm looking both have been trail converted. I think the 03, 04 are more than what I want to spend. The price of the sled are about the same. Which of the motor take less work to keep up and running. I want the one that people think is less finky where I don't need to changing jets, etc all the time. The other sled I'm considering is a ProX 440 fan. Opinion on that Sled

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
prox fans are a real chore to tune and keep that way....Personally I would pass on the fan...Also if you buy a liquid and something happens you have a world of choices for replacement powerplants.

Ripperds right on with the solenoid removal advise.....I did it to mine years ago and it made a world of difference

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Motors are similar for 01 and 02. The 03 and 04 (especially 04) do have center crank bearing oiling issues when trailriding. I and akiqpilot have writeups over on hardcoresleder in the polaris 440 section on how to fix that issue.

I wouldn't consider the fan - they have less power and are said to be more temperamental.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Once you have the sled it is pretty self explanatory.

You just connect the vents of the exhaust valves together, or plug them with a stopper piece, and the put in a stiffer, more properly sized spring. I forget exactly which one I used.

The way the exhaust valve setup works from the factory is that it uses a light spring, but there is a solenoid that vents the valve so that the exhaust pressure can't lift the valve prematurely. under 7000rpm the solenoid is open. Above 7000rpm the solenoid is closed, allowing the exhaust pressure to lift the valve for high rpm operation. This makes the valve act faster and more positively. Works great since you never use the midrange when racing.

But on the trail that behavior is annoying.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Very well put^^^^

purple with a white stripe...EV springs. Out of a VES 500.

200972110424582_3287.jpg

note no hoses out of the ev's....just capped

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Maybe slightly biased as an owner of an 01, but one of the nicest things about an 01 besides not needing a pump gas head is that they come oil injected from the factory. It took me a bit of tuning to get it running right where I wanted it, but its been a solid reliable sled for me and logged a lot of miles. With the 01 you are going to want to have the shocks revalved and get front springs with a lower rate, the factory setup is like a brick but its cheap, I think I paid $100 to have all 4 rebuilt, new valves put in the fronts and new springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts