Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a new sled, and have decided on either a Polaris ProX 700, or an Arctic Cat Firecat F7. I've rode Polaris triples for 14 years, but used to ride Cats before that, so I like both companies. I was wondering if anyone out there has any riding time on either of these sleds, and what they're impressions are. I ride very hard when I'm with the guys, but a lot more sedate when with the wife. I also thought about sno-crossing next year in the senior class(38).
A lot of the mags thought the ProX was to stiff, and heavy for the trail, but I wasn't sure if the Cat would have the durability or adjustability I liked about the ProX. Any thoughts on these two sleds would greatly help my decision making

·
Registered
23 Posts
Man,your going to kick yourself if you dont at least take an MXZ Rev out for a test drive, I'm not saying your going to have to buy it, but really, and seriously, you owe it to your self as a long time rider. I've talked to dozens of guy's that have them, and 98% of the guys that have them say they cant believe the advance that the Rev is, and the other 2%, well, they just dont know how to set up the suspension to work the way it should.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by modtodd82
[br] well, they just dont know how to set up the suspension to work the way it should.
Man, did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, people may not like it? I mean, it does sound absurd, but I bet it's possible. Not everyone wants a snow-dirt-bike. (This is not a bash, but the riding positin on that machine is based on a dirt bike's riding position and that is why I say that) Not that there is anything wrong with REV's. They are an amazing step forward in snowmobiling. But it's NOT for everyone, and many many people who know how to set up suspensions may not like riding an REV.

Anyway, since this guy asked about a Pro X and a F7, and didn't make any mention of a REV, I will answer his questions.

I want to mention that I have ridden both the F7, F5, and a Pro X 600.

Both these machines are amazing. Each have their high points, and each have downfalls.

Now, from here on, this is just my opinion.

Now, you mentioned that you ride very hard. The clicker shocks all around on the Pro X are a nice feature, also the very stiff suspension works better the harder you pound it. The shorter track is also a plus in handling in my experience.

The F7 to me felt very narrow and tippy. It didn't corner as well as my Pro X did, but that is just my personal preference. The F7 didn't impress me all that much in power either, because I raced one with my Pro X 600 and yes he beat me, but only by about 2 sled lengths in approx 2500 feet. Deep snow performance on the F7 is better than the pro X, cuz if you get a sno pro model, you get a 1.25" track, and that's really nice. Plus it hooks up great on trails and stuff. The F7's brakes are quieter than my Pro X's, so if you don't like the "Polaris squeal" in your brakes, then I'm warning you, the Pro X still does it.

And yes, on a choppy trail at low speeds, the pro X will bounce you around a bit. Unless you go to the effort of changing all the clickers to 1, then it's not too bad, but yes the F7 rides alot nicer when you aren't pounding it.

Now you have to understand that I did buy a Pro X, so my reply here is probably biased because I have nearly 500 miles on a Pro X and about 30 on a firecat. But my overall impression of the firecats isn't the greatest. I suppose I could get used to it, but I still prefer the Pro X.

My advice, go to a Cat dealer, and put some miles on a firecat. Then head to a Polaris dealer, and put some miles on a Pro X. Then make your decision.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Polaris-man is correct on this one.

In order to see which one you relly want, you MUST ride each one not only for 5 minutes, but 1/2 hour to an hour each. This way you can get a real feel for the sled. I race snowcross and all the guys (and girls) I know that race Cats say they are a little tippy in the corners. As for the Polaris, it is the same chassis as last years Pro-X 440. One thing, if you want to race sno-x and you get a 700cc sled, you will only be able to compete in the open class. (over 600cc, under 800cc) If you went for a 500cc you could race all classes. Up to you though how much you want to race or trail ride.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Pro X ProX ProX ProX ProX ProX ProX ProX ProX What am I tryin to say.....ProX That's right...ProX. I'd give my left you know what for 1.[:D]I've riddin the F7 and F5 but I found too much ski lift(That's just me though). Now... they have the F6 in production and I'd be willing to try that.[8D].

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The F7 to me felt very narrow and tippy. It didn't corner as well as my Pro X did....[/quote]

This was my experience as well, the F7 I rode didn't even corner as well as my 500 XC.
Roll the power on to much coming out of a corner, and you will have a bush cat on your hands.
Test them out if you can.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ride with my feet underneath me quite a bit, especially when I'm thrashing it through the trails. I sat on a REV and thought it was a great advancement, but my legs felt too straight even though they were underneath me. I'm only 5'9" and it felt as if the seat was to far away from the boards. I like to keep low in corners and do a LOT of leaning(hooks are great)so the more conventional sleds just felt better if that makes sense.
I've got to admit I have only sat on these two sleds in the showrooms for the Polaris, and only at the Oct. snow-show for the Cat. I would love to try either one but nobody has a ProX around here because our clsest dealer didn't order any, and told all his buyers they would prefer the XC so he never sold any for me to borrow. I want to try the Cat but our closest dealer is 40 miles from here, and he has none left, and all the ones he sold are no where near me so I don't know anybody.
Does anybody know wherw I could get a test drive? I live in the Wingham, Listowel, Walkerton area of southwestern Ontario. Thanks for any help, or more opinions and information.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by skidoo175
[br] One thing, if you want to race sno-x and you get a 700cc sled, you will only be able to compete in the open class. (over 600cc, under 800cc)
Open class is open up to 800cc. My friend races his 440 in the sport open class and the 600 class. As long as it isn't BIGGER than the class you are racing in. (ZR 900 can't be raced in open)

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Well if you have been riding a triple for the last 14 years and are like me, no twin will comes close to the smoothness or a triple. How about a XCR 800 ,SxViper or Mach Z?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bigwilly,

He is talking of getting a 700cc so he would only be able to race in the open class. With a 700cc, he could NOT race in the 600cc class.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The handling issue with the F7 is only the adjustment of the suspension. I hated mine for the first 200 miles due to the lift and wash out in the corners. I wanted to get 200 mile on it to loosen up the susp. before tuning. When I was ready to start I found some good set up info on the net. 1) raise the front end off the ground, and back off the ski shock springs till no preload. 2) repeat on the front shid frame shock. 3) set the limited block to the #2 position. It now handles almost as good as my ZR500. It is well planted even in the soft travel snow a plus 5C degrees. Now I love it. 1300 miles on it so far this winter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bot you are faced with a win-win situation here. Both are fine sleds, and don't forget about the Rev or the Viper. Do your best to ride them all, for at least 1 day each. It's a blast just trying them out.

But...as far as Sno-Xing your sled, unless your local tracks are longer high speed types, I would go with the lightweights, and only use that sled for sno-X, cause once you get on the track, your juices are gonna flow, and you're gonna get in and bump and grind with all the "old guys" LOL . A good friend of mine is the points leader in our local Sno-X with his pro-x 440 fan, which he also runs in the "legends" class. His worst bashes have ALL come in the legends class, he thought previously that this was because he was ridin' his 600, and now he doesn't even take his 600 out of the trailer cause " It's just too dangerous ".

Good Luck,

DNO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts