Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok how do i run a set of psi triple pipes on my 96 xlt without blowing it up? goin on a sleding trip over new years and i have to be faster than a stock 98 zr600

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by lumpy67
[br]ok how do i run a set of psi triple pipes on my 96 xlt without blowing it up? goin on a sleding trip over new years and i have to be faster than a stock 98 zr600
Bungee cord them to the back of the tunnel.

JK - I believe the issue is with oiling. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if he drilled an oil passage over the PTO bearing and ran a 4 line oil pump that would take most of the stress out of it. Make sure it's jetted right, maybe a little on the rich side to be safe.
But I have to ask - are you intending to lead the pack? Not exactly the best sled to attempt with. Don't get me wrong I have a 95. But realistically you're looking at a 2 year newer sled than the XLT.

Bryan

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you dont want to run pipes, I would PM Madcow he has the Perfect clutch kit and gears for these xlt's that really wakes them up..

·
Registered
477 Posts
you wont need the pipes to beat that little ol zr he might get the hole shot but you will get him on the big end

·
Registered
840 Posts
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]
Originally posted by lumpy67
[br]ok how do i run a set of psi triple pipes on my 96 xlt without blowing it up? goin on a sleding trip over new years and i have to be faster than a stock 98 zr600
Bungee cord them to the back of the tunnel.

JK - I believe the issue is with oiling. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if he drilled an oil passage over the PTO bearing and ran a 4 line oil pump that would take most of the stress out of it. Make sure it's jetted right, maybe a little on the rich side to be safe.
But I have to ask - are you intending to lead the pack? Not exactly the best sled to attempt with. Don't get me wrong I have a 95. But realistically you're looking at a 2 year newer sled than the XLT.

Bryan
Exactly what Ibreakstuff stated. I used to have a '95 XCR6 with PSI pipes. If you dont have that oil passage drilled out bigger, dont run the pipes. The reason I said that, for one - your sled isnt exactly new anymore and Im assuming you prolly got some miles on the crank by now. if you leave it stock - a good clutch kit and gearing will help you AND more importly, your sled will stay running. Contact Madcow, he will help you. WL.

·
Registered
84 Posts
An xlt will have a hard time with the cat, simply put the xlts are not fast. I'm speaking from expierence here too.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Memphis
[br]An xlt will have a hard time with the cat, simply put the xlts are not fast. I'm speaking from expierence here too.
So what is considered not fast to you ? I have seen some pretty strong running XLT's in stock trim and the XLT has certaintly never been labeled as 'a slow sled'.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey lumpy its josh, ispence just bought a 98 zr and i walk all over him with my xlt even with my 1.75 track with out my pipes on.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
just get an EGT gauge and mount it on ur dash and watch it make sure it does go over about 1400-1500 or so

·
Registered
84 Posts
Originally posted by tripplethret
[br]
[br]An xlt will have a hard time with the cat, simply put the xlts are not fast. I'm speaking from expierence here too.
So what is considered not fast to you ? I have seen some pretty strong running XLT's in stock trim and the XLT has certaintly never been labeled as 'a slow sled'.
I've had them all, the XLT's were never intended to be a big fast sled, they were to be a good performing trail sled and they were, but speaking from experience stepping off say a 99 XCR 700 and getting on a XLT and your left wondering why the XLT is so slow. The XLT's are about a 95mph sled, that's not fast to me, I know some people will step in and say their XLT is way faster , I've been doing this for a long time 25 plus years, so I'm not talkin about somebody fluffed up numbers I'm talkin radar or even GPS clocked numbers. Don't take this as me trashing the good ol XLT's, I still have a near mint 95 special in the garage, but I've taken the motor out in favor of a 800 triple so now I will have a fast XLT.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
[br]
Originally posted by tripplethret
[br]
I've had them all, the XLT's were never intended to be a big fast sled, they were to be a good performing trail sled and they were, but speaking from experience stepping off say a 99 XCR 700 and getting on a XLT and your left wondering why the XLT is so slow. The XLT's are about a 95mph sled, that's not fast to me, I know some people will step in and say their XLT is way faster , I've been doing this for a long time 25 plus years, so I'm not talkin about somebody fluffed up numbers I'm talkin radar or even GPS clocked numbers. Don't take this as me trashing the good ol XLT's, I still have a near mint 95 special in the garage, but I've taken the motor out in favor of a 800 triple so now I will have a fast XLT.
Having a 95 XLT SP myself since new I too talk from experience, my XLT ran 100 on radar it was anything but slow. I have an XCR 800 which is fast but you cannot compare 600's to 800's , it is comparing apples to oranges. In the 600 class the XLT did fine and by all means was not slow.
As you are now doing to your XLT, my XLT has a 680 triple triple in it now. Yes it is faster then it was but it is a different class of sled now too. When my XLT had the mono 600 I had added Aaens and it was a rocket and a lot of bigger sleds had their hands full with it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We too far off topic here but like I said there's always a guy that wants to fluff the numbers, but yeah a little guy on an XLT may push it to 100 if the stretch was long enough, fact is I'm not sure if you were on the sled scene in the mid 90's, if you were then you know or if you were not a little home work will show you that the XLT's were at the back of the 600 pack, the XCR's were better. In fact in the mid 90's I still had a stock 1990 AC 650 that had no problems beating my buddies 95 special, the V-max and MXZ in the group also beat the XLT. Like I said they are a good machine, but look it up they were not meant to be a go fast machine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's really is up to the guy on the machine, if you drive it and think it's fast then that's what matters. This post was started because he wants to beat a ZR 580 if the XLT was able to beat the ZR the post would not have been started.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I'm no little guy and have been in the 'scene' since a bit before the 90's and yes this is off topic, sorry about that Lumpy67.

As for the original question, to run them without blowing up you should tear down the engine completely first and drill the PTO bearing oiler hole and possibly replace both end bearings while your in there. Then make sure you clutch it to run on the exact RPM for the pipes to work at so you get the most HP gain. You may be suffering from bad clutching now as you stated that your sled is a dog. No pipes in the world are going to make a sled perform if the clutches are worn out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
the cheapest route would be to throw a clutch kit in her and you will walk the zr. I used to have a 95 xcr and i could take both my cousins zr 600's from start to finish. just my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts