Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PTO plug fowls out in slower trail riding, mid range throttle. Has any one ever compensated for this by adjusting the needle position on that cylinder only?

thx in advance

[8D]

·
Registered
685 Posts
Ive always been schooled that you dont adjust one carb different from the other so to answer your question NO.

If you wanted to lean it out a little more, you would adjust the c clip on your needle so that it drops the needle lower (raise C-clip one position higher)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
685 Posts
Also what plugs are you running, perhaps you have too cold a plug for your machine. You can find out by looking on the inside of your hood it will state what type and range of plug should be in there, then check what you are runnning to ensure its the same.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Check you Pto crank seal also. Spray starting fluid or carb cleaner on it while running.
If the idle increases it is shot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for replies, Curt Man, you state to adjust all carbs simultaneously, would I drop the pto needle only or all three cylinders the same?

ACEXLT, I will also check the crank seal although the engine is a rebuild by a reputable shop.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
if your crank seals are good, you will want to adjust the carbs individually. If one cylinder is running rich and the others perfect....leaning all three cylinders to compensate for the rich cylinder could cause a burndown on the normal 2 cylinders. The only thing you HAVE to do to all the carbs is to adjust the throttle cables or "sync the carbs" Other than that, you will need to tune each carb to the cylinder. Unless you have modifications to the engine, put stock jetting back into the carbs and run with it.

Good luck,

ToU

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used to foul plugs occasionally on my 94 XLT with BR9ES. I switched to BR8ES and never had any problems after that. BR8 is one heat range hotter.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Originally posted by river-ratskier
[br]Thx for replies, Curt Man, you state to adjust all carbs simultaneously, would I drop the pto needle only or all three cylinders the same?

ACEXLT, I will also check the crank seal although the engine is a rebuild by a reputable shop.
-------

If your going to drop the needle on the PTO side then you will have to do the same on the others.....Im not getting this much, IS your machine stock? What Plugs are u runnning?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
ok, so you are basically running a stock 580. Although the crank is 600 base, your porting is still xlt. Your carbs are 34? that would be stock, if Im correct? Are you running 38 carbs, if thats the case, the porting isnt the same for the xcr and xlt, so Ive been told.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
My triumph (2000 version of the XLT) runs BR9ES plugs, or RN2C plugs. So i dont think all xlt's are supposed to be running the br8's

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
According to the Polaris online parts diagram, the '95 Xcr motor calls for Champion RN2C's.
The NGK crossover is BR9ES.

TriumphoverU is correct depending on year, the Xlr's use both plugs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally posted by river-ratskier
[br]It is a 1995 XCR 600 block with all the stock 1993 XLT 580 set up, carbs exhaust ect.
When you say block do you mean the cylinders also?

pinkpower33, maybe be the in the ball park. The 580's and 600's have different porting and powerbands. That is why they had different carbs and setups. You may have the entirely wrong carbs on your sled. I'm not sure if there is a difference between XCR and XLT but the different year engines have different setups for sure.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Make sure your choke is not sticking on that cylinder also.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
XLT they are always fouling plugs thats the way things are. but some advice i run BR9ES in my 88 Indy 400 and both my friends run BR9ES in their 96 xlts. but if it happens when it is running then ur carbs probably arent the right size. i never like when people change over engines into other bodys of mahcines. it never works out. so i owuld never buy a sled like that. but anyways i say the carbs are for the wrong engine. diffeernt carbs + different engine = no go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts