Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my wifes 99 XCR 800, the plastic sleeve in the pull rope guide is worn thru. When you pull the rope it is fine but the rope hangs in the worn groove and will not retract. Does anyone have an easy fix for this? It appears that the oil tank, coolant bottle and the brake assembly would have to be removed in order to replace this. That seems like alot of work for such a simple problem.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I had the same issue, so I replace my guide with one off a mid 90s Polaris. They are the brass-colored metal tubes about 3 inches long. No plastic, so they don't wear.
20111115302763_23360.jpg

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
As a short term fix, you can spray the rope and groove with white lithium grease. However, that will eventually wear off, and the rope will break.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i just cut my handle off and just have to pull the rope from the inside. its a pain but it doesnt get hung up. the replacement plastic guides are like 5 bucks each. i just havnt gotten to put the new ones on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
I had the same issue, so I replace my guide with one off a mid 90s Polaris. They are the brass-colored metal tubes about 3 inches long. No plastic, so they don't wear.
20111115302763_23360.jpg
I like that idea. Did you have any problem getting it lined up so that the rope slides thru the tube without getting cut?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
tc66nova said:
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
20111115302763_23360.jpg
I like that idea. Did you have any problem getting it lined up so that the rope slides thru the tube without getting cut?
The mount area has little tabs that sit in the top of the chaincase so the tube is parallel with the brake disc, that made the entry angle on the right side pretty sharp so I grinded a tab down so I could rotate the whole piece so the rope enters the tube at a better angle.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I've thought about just making my own with a some brake line, a tubing bender and a flare tool for FrankenStorm. It's at an odd angle putting the storm motor in the XLT chassis and neither the stock plastic or the brass tube work very well..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok guys, Just did this fix to mine tonight. Yes. I did have to remove the bracket, but if you have a welder the fix is way cheap, easy as hell and Permanent. Just drill out rivet on old guide, leaving a flat bracket with a hole in it. Then dig in your garage and find an eye bolt. Weld the eye bolt on the bracket so that the smooth round hole lines up with the hole in the bracket and voila! a nice smooth pull that wont fray your cord and you wont burn through!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts