Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to snowmobiling and pretty much any repairs 'cept old dirtbikes. I got the reverse thread nut off the flywheel over the magneto but it wont pull off. I assume there is a trick or a puller but I'm not sure how to use a puller or if I can get it off without one. It's a 71 Rupp Yankee TR340. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

And if you guys got and tips for making this damn magneto make a spark that would be nice too. hehe. Any way to clean contacts or anything? It makes voltage just.. not enough. It sat for a couple years so I think it might just need some cleaning of contacts or something. If that sounds idiotic.. it probably is. I havnt worked with one before.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I am sure you will want to use a puller. They are ususally on there pretty tight. Not sure on the magneto though. [:)]

·
Registered
777 Posts
ditto on the puller,put the puller on ,tighten it real snug,iif it hasn,t popped,hit the puller bolt a few times,re tighten,hit it again,if you have to use heat,careful the magnets are glued on on some applications to the flywheel,and for the stator,mag there uasslly bolted on for ease of adjustment,and the points,just slip some real fine sandpaper between the points,and lightly buff them

·
Registered
553 Posts
Never use sand paper to clean points. All ya need is a piece of computer paper folded in three and that is enough to clean points. Anymore and you will wreck them. Id replace with a new set anyway and also consider the condensers could be bad. Not real common though. Does this thing have elecric start on it? If so the flywheel is press fit to a ring and you will have to take more apart. TXC

·
Registered
608 Posts
I concur about the flywheel, although I wouldn't use a hammer on the puller unless I had to. I know it used to be a common practice but it puts a whole lot of abuse on the crank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts