Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the problem. The headlight, taillight, and Tach on my 92' Polaris RXL come on and pulsate for a few minutes then go off completly then eventually to process starts over again. Looked for loose grounds none found. Dealer says not voltage regulator. Any suggestions would be appreciated before the sled goes over the bank.

Thanks...[:(]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Big Snow,
I got a 91 RXL efi, been having problems with my electrical system, but I may have an idea where you can start looking. On the Stator plate there is a seperate lighting coil. There is a six prong connector located near the recoil housing, disconnect it, connect the red lead of a multimeter to the yellow wire and the black lead to either the engine, brown, or yellow/red wire. Start the sled, rev to 3000 rpm's and you should get a reading of 20 volts (15 - 45 is acceptable) If its under 15 you need to replace the lighting coil (project). By the way, I don't need to remind you to lift the track off the ground now, do I. Good luck,
Tim[8D]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by clyde418
[br]Hey Big Snow,
I got a 91 RXL efi, been having problems with my electrical system, but I may have an idea where you can start looking. On the Stator plate there is a seperate lighting coil. There is a six prong connector located near the recoil housing, disconnect it, connect the red lead of a multimeter to the yellow wire and the black lead to either the engine, brown, or yellow/red wire. Start the sled, rev to 3000 rpm's and you should get a reading of 20 volts (15 - 45 is acceptable) If its under 15 you need to replace the lighting coil (project). By the way, I don't need to remind you to lift the track off the ground now, do I. Good luck,
Tim[8D]
It may also be a intermitent short. Look for wear spots on all wireing incliding under the seat...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts