Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you guys and gals are using the factory tracks or moded tracks with the "punched" holes down the center. I'm curious to know what kind of performance differences you have noticed over the solid track you had on before. Is the rolling resistance reduced to a noticeable extent? Any gains that made it worth while?? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Yo are talking about the mountain tracks that the guys cut the 1" holes in them, correct?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't know if I would start to cut holes into my track. Although have had studs come through and cut a nice clean hole so it would not fray more...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Its track porting. Less rotational mass, and it lets the snow get out. New RMK polaris sleds come with it stock now. Mostly for mountain riding. No real huge gains on your 121 trail machine

·
Registered
840 Posts
Originally posted by Boss302man
[br]Its track porting. Less rotational mass, and it lets the snow get out. New RMK polaris sleds come with it stock now. Mostly for mountain riding. No real huge gains on your 121 trail machine
I gotta wonder about that. I wonder what type of tools you use to punch the holes out? WL

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
^^^^A 1" hole saw on a drill would work.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I use a 1-1/4" holesaw with the teeth ground off. Then I tapered the inside to make a sharp edge. Once it warms up, it cuts through like butter and cauterizes the holes at the same time.
[attachment=52604]
[attachment=52605]

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Originally posted by Dutchman
[br]I use a 1-1/4" holesaw with the teeth ground off. Then I tapered the inside to make a sharp edge. Once it warms up, it cuts through like butter and cauterizes the holes at the same time.
[attachment=52605]
I was thinking just that. Good idea and would save you plenty if you had someone else to do it. Now, Im thinking of doing the same thing. WL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info on doing it. I'd still like to know what kind of performance difference you noticed after you did the mod to the track. I'm wondering if removing the material will make the track more flexable so it wraps around the front and rear easier and frees up some HP. Less material = less stiffness in tight bends??? I have three stock polaris 136 by 1.5 tracks and I'm considering putting holes in one. I was planning on drilling and then burning the edge to seal it so your info really helped. Anyone have any input on results after they went to a punched track? Thanks!

·
Registered
841 Posts
It should make the track turn easier. The biggest gain is keeping the suspension clean from snow buildup. If you do any mtn riding, you will know that in certain conditions you can really pack the suspension full of snow. That alone is at least a 50lb saving.
And as for the number of holes, I have seen some tracks that look like swiss cheese. But keeping them in a row minimizes the number of strands that you will be cutting.
There are lots of different patterns people use. If you want to do some reading, do a search on Snowest, there is tons of info there on this subject.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
yes it does weaken the track. my fried kyle's dad has a modded rx-1 mountain sled he "ported" his track i dont have pics but this is what it basically looks like

he has had 4 different tracks for this sled 1 that was ported ripped vertically and 1 ripped holrizontally. and one is ported and is 2 or 3 years old that still works great. and he has his one thats un-ported.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts