Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this at the end of my Don't laugh post.
But i thought I'd start a new one to get more of a response.

Just wondering if the Polaris skid plates for Gen2's is a $100 well spent or not.

Does it do a good job of protecting the front suspension parts?

Anybody have a picture of theirs?

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
here is a pic of mine on the gen 2 /snofan/../images/users/04RMK800/geoff - catwalkin.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just did it really for the look

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
/|
|
Pretty much what he said, they do provide some protection. Saved me some rock chips on the belly pan, but really don't protect but maybe two to three inches of the suspension on either side. But I'll say this, I'm puting another one on my 04.[;)]

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Holy picture size batman! (ps 800x600)

That said, that's a pretty cool picture.

I added my skid plate for poser value only, as well.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Here is a pic of the polaris skid plate on my triumph. I mainly did it for protection, but since they came in colors, it sure helps the look of the sled. That being said, last winter i hit a tree stump right down the center of this skid plate (wasnt going very fast though) and all that i have to show for it is a light scratch on the skid plate. My cousin also commented that the red reflected on the snow while riding and he said (and i quote) "It Looks like the snow is on fire under your sled" After he said that Every sled i ever own will have a skid plate installed for looks from now on [8D]

/snofan/../images/users/TriumphoverU/Skidplate.jpg

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
04RMK800- looks like you were going into the bushes there! what did happen?
I like the looks of the skid plates plus the added protection, i dont have one now but plan on having one on my next sled.

·
Registered
74 Posts
that trail i was on had 2 turns on it and when i came around the second one i over steered and nailed the gas and i did manage to get away from the trees.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
The sled I plan on buying comes with a red skid plate and it sure does look good, I don't know if it is really protected.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Mine came with a red one. They will deflect hidden rocks and stumps in the powder. Of course my sled is a pig in the powder so I try to stick to the trail. I try.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies everyone.
It was my b-day yesterday, and even though I turned 34, I have some b-day money to spend on what ever I want.
If it's mostly a style thing I may pass.

What does everyone think...
Without...
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/500_wopan.jpg
or with...
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/500_wpan.jpg

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
WITH! looks much better, you can get them from holeshot which i think are $80, they have em at Dennis Kirk.
BTW good computer work, it looks completely real, you said your good in photoshop so.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
don't pay $100. I got mine for $25 from a dude at this forum last year. Worked great, saved some aluminum from my bulkhead already :)

-Dean

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
And if your going to pay full price, then go to your local dealer. They should be $75 for the Polaris ones, that's five bucks saved over the holeshot!![;)][:D]

Originally posted by bigwilly
[br]The sled I plan on buying comes with a red skid plate and it sure does look good, I don't know if it is really protected.
You might have already said, but what sled are you lookin at getting there BW??

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
SORRY I removed my post because it was shipping to US only.........

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
oh, i guess $100 CAD = like $66 USD, so that isn't quite so bad if he was talking canadian dollars, heh. It just occured to me that he was in canada.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My local parts guy sells RSR skid plates for 80 cdn,
but I've heard the Polaris ones fit better, but probably cost 110 to 120 cdn,
I haven't checked yet.
Thanks for the input, I think I will put one on.
Seeing the before and after I posted, I do like the blue.
Skol...K

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
BW, and offshore24 the 45th sleds would really look odd w/o a skid plate :) They look awsome on those sleds which was a nice factory touch.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
DK has a clearance area on ebay and some of them are only 18.00

http://www.stores.ebay.com/denniskirkscratchanddentstore/plistings/list/all/dept9/index.html?col=2&dir=-1

That's weird they had a ton of stuff yesterday and now it's all gone.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by Alaskangold
[br]You might have already said, but what sled are you lookin at getting there BW??
I am looking at getting a 2000 Indy 500 XC SP 45th Anniversary Edition. The sled with the second longest name ever produced. [;)]

The longest one is the 2000 Indy XC 600 Deluxe Anniversary Edition.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts