Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Put in SLP 40 50/34 black anodized Helix and Silver/Blue spring which Primary spring?

5K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  GustoGuy 
#1 · (Edited)
I took Madcow's advice and I rebuilt my Secondary clutch and put in a a SLP 40 50/34 Black anodized Helix and 40-09 super slippery buttons and a oem Polaris silver/blue spring and it really made a big difference while riding the trails. With the stiffer spring and spring set in hole 3 I really noticed the backshift when letting off the gas and the sled is so much more responsive while cruising the trails and acelerating out of the corners. I also noticed that my launch is better than with the stock helix and red spring however it doesn't hit quite as hard on the bottom as I was hoping. Right now the sled still has the stock Gold color primary spring. Should I move up to the Blue primary spring and if so how much would that increase the engagement point on the clutch in rpms? When cruising the trails I really like the new helix and spring and the sled backshifts to a low gear instantly when you let off the throttle so it really responds nice now when you hit the throttle. In some ways I can toss snow out the back pretty good now and when turning I can blip the throttle and make the rear end of the sled come out a slight amout when before it would hardly do this. Here is a list of Polaris primary springs and there compression ratings

http://www.slednutz.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=388&d=1197267671

#2 ·
the blue should get you to 4500+ area?
almond gold will get you around 5000+ rpm engagement

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the clutching advice. Feels like a different sled now I really like the backshift since the throttle response is there right when I want it. I believe that my stock primary spring engagement is about 4000 to 4100 rpms with the Gold spring. I cracked the whip on it yesterday and I was going 70mph in what seemed like seconds. I also was riding the trails in the ditches and I could hit the throttle while going over driveways and it was throwing snow out the back according to the peope I was riding with. I am interested in putting in the Blue Primary spring would the blue spring make the sled less trail friendly? Since I can take off just as gently as before if I go easy on the throttle. What about dropping the main jets 1 size. Is that safe to do? I heard that the sled it jetted to run safely at -20 below and would dropping 1 jet size help reduce the warm weather lag that the XLT expiriences when riding at 20 degree+? I hate riding at temperatures below zero anyway and I usually will not even ride those days so I should be safe.

#4 ·
the blue clutch will not make the sled hard to drive on the trail or around the yard, it will still be smooth.

for jetting I would not be scared to drop a main size and try it, after you drop the main jet, lets say its 10* above zero out. with new plugs do a wide open 5 second run, hit the kill switch pull over and check plug color, keep doing 5-8 second pulls until you see a color, if you see grey specks on the plugs stop immediately with the wide open runs and jet back up. after several runs you should start to see a color. the color will be dependent on the condition of the day. make a mental note of what the day temp and conditions and the plug color. but at 10* lets say your plugs were dark brown with the new jetting, the next time you get down to zero or under zero if you are running hard at wide open check plugs after a few miles.

the needles will be the mid range jetting, changing 1 jet size on the mains wont effect this area.

#5 ·
I have also been tempted to get a Holtz tempaflow. I know I could get 3 main jets for much less however. I will get a blue primary and clean the clutch really good with brake cleaner and change the spring and go from there. It is sort of fun tweaking your sled for a little better performance and doing it for the cost of a few springs and a new Helix is really cool. Thanks fir the advice I like how the sled feels comming out of the corners now and when accelerating with the downshifting and throttle response it now has.

#6 ·
if you get a holtzman they aren't bad to put on but you need to do a lot of plug checking for an afternoon to get it dialed in.

you ride in the mid range and check plugs, then you do wide open and see the color. if both mid range and top end are close in color then you use the holtzman to adjust jetting to get a nice tan color. if midrange is darker or lighter then wide open jetting then you drop the needle. recheck plugs and adjust holtzman and jetting to get a nice light tan.

#7 · (Edited)
Rode today and really enjoyed the new secondary clutch set up. I like the firm backshift with the stiffer spring and how it acelerates on the trails now and out of the corners. The old stock setup with the soft red spring felt mushy compared to the new secondary clutching which is way more responsive now. Nice cold day today at 6 degrees and sled was an animal really responsive. I may just keep the stock primary spring and drop the jet size down by 1 size since it was nice and responsive at 6 degrees. Last week temps were near 20 degrees and engine felt a bit flatter due to the rich running. May drop it one jet size on all three mains this summer as a fun project or simply clean up the air box a bit for some better breathing. I heard jetting down one jet size works really well and is a cheap way to improve performance and gets you a small increase in fuel efficency as well. The sled is jetted to run as low as -20 degrees below zero Farenhite I seldom ride at anything colder than zero degrees anyway since colder than that is not enjoyable to be out snowmobiling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.