Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We put up all the sleds yesterday, we have a covered trailer we store all of them in, what is a good treatment to put in the fuel for the year, the blue stabilizer?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Blue Stabil Marine formula for Ethenol based fuels...works AWESOME!!

NEVER USE THE RED STUFF, you will be sorry if you do...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
RAMROD said:

Does red (stabil?) fuel stabilier not work with ethanol? Ive been using it for years with ethanol fuel and have not had any issues. Am I doing something bad that I didnt even know of?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
RAMROD said:
Care to explain? I've used regular Stabil for years, and have never had nor seen a single problem with it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
^^^ X2

Used it every year and has yet to cause me one single issue, I have heard talk before that it isn't meant for long term storage. However I have yet to see any proof?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I dont' use anything to try to save the gas over the summer. I just put fresh in every fall. Or if I put em' away low, I'll just top em' off with fresh.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had 30 snowblowers come through this year among all of the other units that we take in and repair...

10 of them needed major carb. cleanings...

What I would find was a glob of junk that had the appearance of clear caveor (fish eggs)(my spell check is not working today, sorry)...that when dries out would turn into a white paste...

ALL of these were traced back to the red stabilizer being the only in common item....

I had a discussion with another shop and they said, ask your customers what stabil they are using...

Its the only thing that all of the ones with this substance had in common...

Do I know exactly what is happening, NO...I have recommended to all of my customers to not use the RED, and will test my finding this fall and winter when those people come back...

I did see this same situation in the spring last year with chainsaws and lawn mowers and have tried to let everyone know to discontinue use of the red...so we will see in the next few weeks...

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Summerization tips:

1. Drain all gas out of tank & run/pull sled over with gas line off to get all out of lines.

2. Add 50ml of oil & a little fuel stabalizer to 1 gallon of gas in a can, and mix well.

3. Then add can of gas/oil/fuel stabilizer into fuel tank, turn on lines (the fuel shut off switch) , get sled running for about 60 seconds, add some fogging oil into carbs, then turn off line and run it untill it runs out..

4. Drain remaining gas out of fuel tank.

5. Put about a pop bottle cap of normal snowmobile oil down the spark plug holes and rotate motor a few times slowly to get oil into the crank bearings good, pour a cap full into each cyl. and rotate slowly about 10 rotations. then repeat once

This way it has plenty of oil in the bearings, and is summerized well.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Heres what I do: ( keep in mind I always run Ethanol Treatment Stabil. Never run anything alcohol based unless you have a suspicion that there's water in your fuel )

1. Run, or empty tank till its just about empty.
2. Remove air box
3. Get a spray bottle, and put a 10:1 mix of gas and oil.
4. Start sled.
5. While sled is running, spray some of the mix into each carburetor.
6. Shut sled off.
7. Remove plugs, put a small amount of 2-cycle oil, or fogging oil in each cylinder.
8. Pull over, but dont start.
9. Put plugs back in, and airbox back on.
10. Put dryer sheets and mothballs all over the inside of your sled.
11. Store.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
We havent ever drained everything completely because we dont want things to dry out. We have stored all of our sleds with full oil, and full gas so keep condensation to a minimum. I also put some seafoam in the gas and a splash of heet. I do put oil down into the cylinders and turn it over a few times.

Havent had any issues yet, so i will continue to do so until i get problems.

Theres a bunch of different ways to go about this.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I make sure there is some gas in the tank, never empty, never full. I add full stabalizer before putting the gas in the tank( I have used Stabil "red stuff" never any issues) Let her run for 5-10minutes, take off belt, loosen track, put cover on, and get the track off the ground.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
I dont' use anything to try to save the gas over the summer. I just put fresh in every fall. Or if I put em' away low, I'll just top em' off with fresh.
Same here,I just run them low if not empty. Never had a problem.

1,792 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
I am a big fan of the Seafoam!

http://www.seafoamsales.com/
Maybe I'm anal, but I use this in my 2 cycles as opposed to the kind marketed primarily for cars.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow thanks guys this helps out, i usually do put the oil in the cylinders and pull over a few limes, and usually leave about 1/4 of a tank of gas, we store all of our sleds in a covered trailer, and put moth balls all through the trailer, is this good?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
RAMROD said:

[highlight=red]NEVER USE THE RED STUFF[/highlight=red], you will be sorry if you do...
my dad has beenusing the red sta-bil for over 15 years and not a single problem

·
Registered
761 Posts
Dragon700 said:
RAMROD said:

[highlight=red]NEVER USE THE RED STUFF[/highlight=red], you will be sorry if you do...
my dad has beenusing the red sta-bil for over 15 years and not a single problem
EXTREMLY lucky then....after seeing the effects i will never use the stuff, not when there are better choices out there...

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm not going to argue on what sta-bil is better or worse, but I use the red. Any one can go to their website and read for your own conclusion.
http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
With todays poor fuel quality, without stabil, it will probably break down and you will end up with a carb full of sludge.

For me, I add stabil and fog the engine. In summer, there's usually a lot more moisture in the air, so internal parts are more prone to corrosion. Even if you can't do the real fog process, another trick is to hold the oil pump on full open while idling. At idle most machines use hardly any oil, so by holding the pump open, it will raise the oil/gas mixture.

·
Registered
393 Posts
ryan.cogswell said:
We put up all the sleds yesterday, we have a covered trailer we store all of them in, what is a good treatment to put in the fuel for the year, the blue stabilizer?
Myself I use NOS octane boost racing formula works well as a fuel stabalizer.Never a problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts