Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 96 XLT 600 and i dont know wether to rebuild the motor (#8 or 9 for this sled) or to buy a new one. im leaning towards a new one and was wondering if it is possible to put a twin in this sled with out to many modifications. also does anyone know a good web site that carries new tripples?

·
Registered
749 Posts
i don't think a twin will fit right in but it could be done. I would just look for a triple motor. There is about ten of them motors on ebay.com. If you were to do it you would have to do some airbox mods and clutch alighning.ALL PAIN IN THE ASS. if this is your 9th rebuild then i would say get a new motor. Have you changed jets or done mods to your motor. I have never heard of a xlt blowing up 9 times. You must be doing something wrong.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see i just bought it and the dude i bought it from rallys the hell out of everything, and i kind of bought it blown up so its really the first motor through me, except that i only got to ride it once...but anyways the only thing i done to it is put on a DG can. i was gona clean out the carbs when i put it back together, and i was gona change the primary spring to keep it maxing out around 8000RPMS. whata you think?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just looked on ebay and found one XLT 580 motor with 4000+ miles. what are you typing in the search box to find ten of em?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Heres a site for rebuilt motors.

http://www.pmcna.com/

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Here's another site. Not giving my endorsement, since I've not done business with them, but they do seem to have a good selection.

http://www.centralsnowmobile.com/homepage.htm

·
Registered
749 Posts
i typed in xcr about a week ago and it came up with a few xlt engines and a few xcr engines. An xcr engine sould work just fine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
actually have a friend last yr put a 700 twin in a 96 xlt chassis.had 2 use the steer shaft from the 700 and grind the base plate 4 steering clearance.do u know where they saved the weight 2 make the extra lite triple ? in the chassis, bolt in a twin makes this machine extra extra lite.

·
Registered
199 Posts
seems 2 be workin' great. clutches lined up fine.just went ridin' with him last weekend,that sled rips, but my triple will still pull him!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
hey wouldn't that b a cool sleeper?! oh ya by the way i'm workin' on a sled my girlfriend bought ,it's a 97 xcr 600 motor & suspension into a 96 xlt chassis!!! guess what the 800 jugs & pistons fit right on this bottom end!!think she'll like it ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
oh! forgot to mention, fox shocks just redone, reverse, x-tra 12, very good shape, winshield bag, goes like hell !!! lol, new belt

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds like a neat project, I too am looking for a good summer project.

Keep this in mind though. Your '96 XLT with a blown motor is worth maybe $800-$1000?? I have yet to see a Polaris twin complete motor go for much less than $1000, and that is usually without clutches or carbs. So, I'd say that you'd have to spend at least $1000-$1200 in parts to get that Twin into your XLT. Plus, you'll need the wiring harness and stuff.

If you can find a wrecked XC, then it might definetly be worth doing. Keep in mind, that you can buy a '98 XC 600 or 700 for around $2000 - $2200. These sleds IMO are much better than the XLT, due to the kickass motors and front suspension. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts