Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any advice/suggestions (steps)on the easiest way to put the skid back in. I have a 1997 Ultra SP. I have done it once several years ago, with help from a friend- I don't know if I will be able to do it with out help....
Thanks

·
Registered
957 Posts
Gman...

I'm not a fan of the method where you flip the sled on it's side and wiggle it in... seems like you could tweak it in a bad way with gravity working against you in too many directions..... not to mention dealing with the track!!

So I hoist the rear end of the sled from the Ceiling in my garage using a come-a-along. Then all you have to do is raise the sled.... work the skid into the track (I think it's easier when you take the tension off the rear Springs so the rear half of the suspension collapses, and sometimes it's just easier to also take out the rear wheels, and then put them back in when you get the skid in.... I guess it all depends on how tight your track is) Then lower the rear of the sled and get the front bolts in... On my Ultra it's always been a little difficult getting the skid into the tunnel around the runningboard coolers...you kinda need to try and slide in the attachment points into the tunnel in front of the coolers, and then slide the skid rearward to line up the holes.... Once you get the two front bolts in the rear ones are easy... Just get those rear wheels back in (if you took them out), Re-Tension the Rear sliding springs so the rear suspension stands back up, and then lower the sled till the holes area aligned, and bolt it up. I think it's the only way to go!

Here's my 96 Ultra SKS last January when I was putting a 2" 136" track on it

·
Registered
553 Posts
I usually just loosen the track and use a anti seize lubercant like a silicone spray. It not only helps getting them on but also taking off in the future

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks High Sierra!! Wonderful instructions!! I would love to see the pics of your ultra however the link you attached will not work for me?? I have another questions: I put a new Ryde FX shock on the rear skid and it is so stout that my suspension does not compress very well - will it break in?? There is not a tension screw on the shock. I can adjust the tension on the rear springs however that seems to have no effect??????

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've done mine by myself several times; I've done it pretty much the way HighSierra describes, except sometimes I find the tunnel is a little tight to lift the skid in. When that happens I use a spreader clamp (a reversable clamp) to spread the tunnel a half inch or so and the skid slides right up and in.[:)]

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The easiest way I've found to put the skid back in is as follows:

Roll the sled on to its side (making sure to have a blanket or some foam on the ground to protect it. Slip the skid into the track to that the skid and track are perpendicular to the tunnel.

Now line the front mounting bolts up and install the bolts. Don't tighten all the way. Now with the front mounting bolts installed and the track and skid still paralel to the tunnel, simply swing the track and skid up into the tunnel. With the front bolts already in place, the rear ones should now line right up. Install the rear bolts now and flip the sled upright. Now just torque all four bolts to spec.

All of this is assuming that the track tension was all ready loosened and the tension taken off the torsion springs before removeal. Now put the torsion springs back in place and tighten the track to spec. Done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts